NJ is #2 for solar power

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It is crazy isn't it. A 650-foot prototype tower generating 50 MW was built in Manzaneras, Spain in 1982 and worked for nine years. If I recall correctly, the Australian government recently pulled the plug on this same project due to the high cost.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was out driving around Cumberland County today and went past Seabrook farms. They have installed a huge solar array in a field there - I should have paid closer attention, but I think it was on Rt 553. It is huge - very impressive and quite a surprise to come across this out in a field. I found this article: http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2010/05/seabrook_farms_to_install_more.html

SBS Energy Partners, LLC announced Tuesday a 15-year agreement with Seabrook Farms to install and maintain more than 21 acres of solar panel systems at its facility here.

This location will hold approximately 27,000 panels, with each producing about 230 watts of electricity. Construction is expected to begin in 4-6 weeks, once permits and designs are finalized, according to Joanne Brigandi, the Director of Corporate Communication for SJI Services, LLC, a subsidiary of South Jersey Industries.

She added that the project is expected to be finished by the end of the year. Once completed, this project will generate approximately 6.1 megawatts, or 8.4 million kilowatt hours of energy annually. To place that in perspective, this site would supply about 785 homes with electricity for a full year

Then this news release says it will be 45 acres when completed: http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/21033

The first PV system is a 6-MW system spanning 45 acres at Seabrook Farms in Seabrook, NJ incorporating over 27,000 solar panels. The construction for this project is split into two phases. The first 3-MW phase is already underway and will be completed by the end of 2010. The second 3-MW phase will commence in the spring of 2011. Solectria Renewables will provide 12 SmartGrid Inverters (SGI).

Not sure how big it really is, but it looked like the largest installation I've seen in the area. Driving around Cumberland and Salem Counties, I'm surprised at the amount of solar panels - seems like almost everyone has them, including single family homes and small farms.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a new large one on 38 in either Mt Laurel or Lumberton by the College there. They were building it on Friday when I left Al and headed to pick up Jennifer at work.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was just searching on Google and many of the "Extra Space Storage" facilities in NJ will have solar panels on them now.

http://1stlightenergy.com/pr/pr_extra_space.html

There is a business and a home right near me with them on the roof. They really are everywhere now. It is a good thing.

Guy

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
You Aren't South Jersey, If You Haven't Had Mister Softee

You aren’t Philly if you haven’t had water ice, a cheesesteak, tastykake, soft pretzel, or

Mister I will never get the song out of my head Softee.

Mister Softee is like cheesesteaks. You aren’t Philly unless you’ve had a few.

Don’t you remember growing up……?

The song will NEVER leave your brain. It runs on and on and on and on. I am sure it has made someone go literally certifiable crazy over the years. Mister Softee has been an institution since the 1950s. Two brothers started the business here in South Jersey. And the company continues handing out ice cream treats today to young and old generations alike.

Don’t you remember running after the truck from blocks away and almost seeing a kid getting hit by the truck?

Ahhhhhh, the good old days. Great memories. A Philly Area institution that never gets the credit it deserves.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Boyd as stated by Teegate in this thread, Even Mister Softee is going solar. Mister Softee is the schnizit.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
That's awesome. See...Mr. Softee is the schiznit. However, I have a friend that has gone "solar" here in my town. He is still fighting with the power companies. To give the extra energy back in the grid and of course being compensated for it, now, they are getting free energy from him.

There's also a lot going on with the certified contractors. Some folks are having trouble and mechanical errors with the equipment and not installed properly. All in all I think it's great. I think Windmills are a great way to go as well. In my past, I worked with a windmill company out of Long Island working on the Cape Wind project.

1 windmill is enough energy to produce for 1,000 households for an entire year. The only thing they say that will interfere with some of the birds and migration patterns. However, seeing a wind farm on route 30 in the hills of PA in my travels recently was pretty neato. This mid-Atlantic east coast area produces the best and mostly ideal conditons for harvesting wind and should be looked into more. Solar is great, but it takes up a lot of space and can't put out the energy equivalent at times to support a whole structure. Sometimes it can depending on the conditions. However, the elements rain, snow, winter also play an ideal role in the capacity that it can run.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hahaha. I could say the same for you!! Actually no I'm not bored. I wrote an article about Mister Softee and looked it up here afterwards. No biggie.