NJ park ranger?

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Y'all:

I have a (fictional) 18 year-old girl, resident of the Pines, loves it and knows it well, who is dreaming about a wildlife-related job. She's equally skilled with paddle, shotgun, or wrench. She's willing to get further education if necessary.

My first thought was park ranger, but upon reading some posts, I'm not sure. :) Also can't seem to find the requirements for this job.

Any comments, suggestions?

Glo

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Glo-

There are no more Park Rangers in NJ. They have become Park Police and must go through training at the academy as any police officer must do. I looked into this back in Feb, as I was looking to make a career change. I, too, was contemplating a wildlife job. LOL Unfortunately, the state no longer funds the $7k needed for the academy, as too many candidates signed up for Park Police, received state support, and went to work for municipal police forces.

You're girl sounds like she has a lot of skills. Maybe she could be some kind of bounty hunter rounding up people who trash the pines or ride illegal ATVs. :clint:

Good Luck,
John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Y'all:

I have a (fictional) 18 year-old girl, resident of the Pines, loves it and knows it well, who is dreaming about a wildlife-related job. She's equally skilled with paddle, shotgun, or wrench. She's willing to get further education if necessary.

My first thought was park ranger, but upon reading some posts, I'm not sure. :) Also can't seem to find the requirements for this job.

Any comments, suggestions?

Glo

If she's fictional, she can get any job she wants. :D

Seriously, with the state being in the coinditon it's in I would tend to look elsewhere. My son worked for the state as a Naturalist until that ended last year in layioffs. She might consider a NJ F&W CO position or the NPS for Park Ranger positions, but they are also law enforcement. Perhaps a Park Naturalist or something along those lines. She has the Philadelphia area, Gateway NRA and Delaware Water Gap NRA close by

A place for more info regarding NPS jobs;

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/workwithus.htm

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
she could be looking for a job with the NJ DEP, or with an independant environmental consulting firm. Or, perhaps a job with the Pinelands Commission. I know someone who works with the commission and they perform field studies (looking for endangered plants and animals) and make sure land users are in complience with commission requirements. From what I understand it is a fairly low-paying job, but rewarding personally.

I went kayaking with a bunch of these commission workers (they are not involved in the political aspect of the commission). They are a bunch of good people.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=4072&highlight=great+harbor+river

Jeff

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Glo,
If she is truly interested in wildlife related careers (in NJ) I would definately steer her towards the Conservation Officer position with NJ Fish and Wildlife. The sad part of NJ govt. is that they are not hiring ANYONE in field positions...
just spending alot of time shuffling folks around :confused:
Recently there was a director's position for a non-profit wildlife refuge in the area. Have the fictional 18 year old read the story "Craigs list". :) I have seen interesting opps advertised here lately. Also check out the NJ County Parks System. Atlantic and Burlington are both doing wonders with land acquisitions and openings that she may be interested in.

Good luck,
turtle

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
steer her towards the Conservation Officer

One of the Conservation officers that patrols the Greenwood section of the pines is a young lady. Heard she is a tough cookie too. She has been pleasant the few times she has checked my license and tags.

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Glo is writing a book so nobody needs a job. :)

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
One of the Conservation officers that patrols the Greenwood section of the pines is a young lady. Heard she is a tough cookie too. She has been pleasant the few times she has checked my license and tags.

Chris

I think I met her. She seemed polite and friendly enough, but it might have just been my charm:)

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thank you for all these good suggestions! Even though it's fiction, I want it to be accurate, and by giving me this information you're keeping me from making some blunders, beginning with the Park Ranger idea. :) She might not want to be involved in a police department job, since her uncle runs a motorcycle chop shop, up near Mt. Misery. I think she knows about it too. Anyway, I'll follow up the links. If anything else comes to mind, please tell me.

Glo

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thank you for all these good suggestions! Even though it's fiction, I want it to be accurate, and by giving me this information you're keeping me from making some blunders, beginning with the Park Ranger idea. :) She might not want to be involved in a police department job, since her uncle runs a motorcycle chop shop, up near Mt. Misery. I think she knows about it too. Anyway, I'll follow up the links. If anything else comes to mind, please tell me.

Glo

A motorcyle chop shop near Mt. misery is totally believable (I'm not being sarcastic).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ask them if they have a su-e-ocki. A mixed breed of bikes that my wife can't seem to get right :bang:

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Glo, A chop shop would be an illegal business so back in the woods by Mt.Misery would be a good area and with motorcycles a building wouldn't even be necessary. I know of an autobody shop down a deserted dirt road near there that could be used as one. Also back in the 70's an outlaw motorcycle club would spend a week partying under Upton Bridge. Maybe your girls Uncle was involved with them and remembered the area. I think it's nice that even in a fictional story you want good facts about the areas.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Glo, A chop shop would be an illegal business so back in the woods by Mt.Misery would be a good area and with motorcycles a building wouldn't even be necessary. I know of an autobody shop down a deserted dirt road near there that could be used as one. Also back in the 70's an outlaw motorcycle club would spend a week partying under Upton Bridge. Maybe your girls Uncle was involved with them and remembered the area. I think it's nice that even in a fictional story you want good facts about the areas.

This is helpful, oji. I'm just plotting at this point, and it's kind of like taking photos-- get a hundred shots/ideas and pick out the best.

Glo