NJ to buy 1400 acres near Millville, Holly Farns.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Manumuskin, DeepXplor,

Good news indeed! The Holly Farm is a treasure. There once was a holly museum there that sold the best tasting "holly honey." Bees were kept to increase berry set, in support of Christmas bough production; to deck halls with...

Here's an old link to a post about the long-forgotten Hog Holes once present there:

I do miss posting, but I've been overwhelmed with studies. Not only was the Pinelands cold in the Ice Age, but it was very windy and very dusty too. Here's a link to the current work on Pleistocene inland dunes (with poster available on link if you scroll downward):

Boyd's maps are essential to ongoing research, and am truly grateful for this amazing resource. Boyd also kindly provided the abstract map for the poster. Hardly a day goes by without access to Boydsmaps online. Well done!

S-M

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The poster looks great Mark! :cool: Glad you're finding the maps helpful. Work is progressing slowly but steadily on the new LIDAR website, hopefully it will be online by Christmas.

Reactions: Spung-Man

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"m not goi ng to have weekends off till around march but i can make one if you like.i have been contemplating a 12 mile circle route just for personal use but there are plkenty of things in that area we missed on our last trip out that way

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
This is the building on the site.

73de72aec4654a6286633089cff7d426.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have not been up to the house since a kid but have seen it from the wood edge a couple times since then. I wonder if there will be an off limits area immediately around the house once the area is open. I can't see the state allowing that to be vandalized. Of course if it already has and been ruined they may tear it down.I haven't been close enough to tell the shape it is in.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We can wait for you Al. No rush.
I will get with you and throw some ideas your way and you can throw some mine. I"ll need to know what kind of mileage you want.The woods in this area are mostly very open, of course the swamp edges tend to be gnarly but the woods are very park like and anywhere from right down piney to large open almost entirely oak woods and of course a very square shaped Holly patch right in the middle:) Also of course some gorgeous blue holes and a couple desert areas.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
My good friend's mom's 40th birthday party was held in the big house, some years back (approximately 1995). It was operated by AC Electric, and someone in his family was an employee, so they got a deal on the venue rental. I don't know when the property stopped being available for events, but it was sometime after that. I suspect the state will put up some temporary chain link fencing around it, and that will be it.