NJDEP issues drought watch

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2010/10_0088.htm

New Jersey has had no significant rainfall since more than five inches of precipitation inundated a portion of the northeast sector of the State nearly three weeks ago. Some areas have received 25 percent or less of expected summer rainfall. As a result, precipitation indicators have dropped to the severely dry category in the state's central, coastal north and coastal south regions.

Stream flow levels also declined to the severely dry category in the coastal north region. Only in the coastal south region are stream flows moderately dry. Hot, dry weather continues to stress shallow groundwater and is beginning to impact some private wells.

"It's a matter of the state's faucet being turned off at the same time we've had little relief from the heat,'' said Steve Doughty, research scientist in the DEP's Division of Water Resources Management. "So, every gallon of water we can save now will extend our supply in case a return to normal weather conditions occurs later than we hope.''

According to State Climatologist David Robinson of Rutgers University, New Jersey is experiencing its warmest summer (June-August) on record since weather data has been kept starting in 1895. This followed the warmest spring on record. Every month since March has ranked in the top 10 of all time for heat, with August ranked 10th, July ranked 2nd and June as the first hottest month in the past 105 years.

At the same time, below average rainfall has accompanied the heat. The preliminary average for summer precipitation stands at 8.35 inches statewide, making it the 10th driest summer of all time and the driest summer since 1966.

Average statewide rainfall in August was just 2.42 inches, or 2.14 inches below normal, making it the 15th driest August on record. But rainfall levels have varied dramatically across the state. More than 8 inches fell this summer at the Charlotteburg reservoir in northern Passaic County while less than one-half inch of rain fell on most of Burlington County.

This has been a hot summer for sure, but I'm kind of surprised to see that it's set an all time record.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have walked around in the past month in places that one would not even think about going to most of the year. It is really dry out there for sure.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looked like we were going to get hammered with a big storm today - NWS was predicting as much as 6" of rain. So far, nothing at all in my area and from the radar it doesn't look like the storm has hit any of the pines. Maybe the storm track will shift tonight and we'll get some rain? NWS is still predicting a couple inches but I am skeptical.

Meanwhile, Washington and Baltimore are flooding. Strange weather pattern...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Looked like we were going to get hammered with a big storm today - NWS was predicting as much as 6" of rain. So far, nothing at all in my area and from the radar it doesn't look like the storm has hit any of the pines. Maybe the storm track will shift tonight and we'll get some rain? NWS is still predicting a couple inches but I am skeptical.

Meanwhile, Washington and Baltimore are flooding. Strange weather pattern...

Yes, I was working home today and watched the radar hammer the delaware river. Not a drop here since 8AM. Have you noticed the training pattern of the storms up the east coast over the past 18 months or so? Not usual, like a ball of spinning precipitation (Nor'easter), but like a long thin stream of storms riding up the coast.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
poured pretty good in the Wharton area over night and this morning. Alot of the feilds in Hammonton were flooded into the street which usually indicates at least an inch or so of rain.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Took the bikes down to Virginia Beach yesterday with intention of leaving this afternoon before the rain hit. Hehe. Woke up this morning to rain and it rained all the way home with the only break we got on the ferry. Now THAT was a ride. Waves...good thing no mne got seasick....I sat down on the ferry the whole time, lol..