No camping - Flood? What a joke

Do you think they should have closed the campgrounds?

• Yes, Close them all for safety reasons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
BEHR655 said:
True but I think the way the State thinks is, no road, no access in case of fire. Also, they won't be willing to hike long distances to bust you for beer.

Steve
Gates. Wonderful invention, they are used to limit vehicle access. On your second point you are right on the money.What it really boils down to is your Government does not trust it's citizens.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Piney Boy said:
Some thoughts;
were will this site be?
Distance?
who do we want to contact to aid in this endeavor?

Man, I never thought my thread would be resurrected so long after the initial post. Regardless, I think the restrictions need to be even more strict for this campsite. The problem with the Mullica River campsite is that you can drive pretty much until about 500 yards from the site where the sign posts 'No Motor Vehicles'. This is right off Quaker Bridge Rd. There has to be no way that a car could get less than a mile from this new wilderness camping spot we are 'proposing' via sand or paved roads.

Let me take a look at some topo's and see what may work in my mind (mind you, I'm no expert). I was thinking around the Batsto area as there's not as many roads (think road to Hawkins Bridge campsite -> Friendship). That way, a nice 4 mile hike along singletrack (no sand road interaction -> it's a curse of all PB State trails), would discourage anyone who can simply drive along a sand road and look for the brown/color sticks that mark a hiking trail.

I think tonight or tomorrow I'm heading to Goshen to do some camping cause all this posting is getting me antsy for some good times this spring/summer in the Pines. This weather is going to be superb the next 2 to 3 days.

Peace,

J.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
BEHR655 said:
True but I think the way the State thinks is, no road, no access in case of fire. Also, they won't be willing to hike long distances to bust you for beer.

Steve

This is precisely the issue that I believe won't be able to be overcome. The immediate argument will be 'If there is a fire, we need to get back there with our vehicles.'

Secondary argument, 'If there are people camping there, registered or not, we have to play Mommy and be able to drive back there in our gas powered vehicles and make sure they're not doing anything wrong. Walking anywhere further than 500 yards is out of the question.'

It's the balance of trust vs. the number of inconsiderate folks in this state that has yet to be reached. And due to the bad press and lingering feelings that these incidents (trash dumping, not putting out fires, leaving huge traces of human contact with nature), this makes the generalization swing towards not trusting anyone and having to make things so strict and accessible, that no one can enjoy nature responsibly the way it's supposed to be enjoyed: in peace and solitude with good friends and good times.

Another 2 pence from me, I should get back to making websites.

Peace,

J.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I have been mulling possible locations over and have come up with the following:

Somewhere between Washington Pike, in Wharton, and 563 or Bulltown Road. This spot of land offers a little scenic swamp and water views and is removed from major roads or public land holdings.

Or somewhere off 563 closer to the West Branch of the Wading River. Lots of scenic landscape with no major land holdings.

Perhaps we could post a day out bush whacking trip in the coming weeks to spot out possible locations. What do you think gang?

Piney Boy said:
Or somewhere off 563 closer to the West Branch of the Wading River. Lots of scenic landscape with no major land holdings.

Lee Brothers own a great deal of property on the west side of the river and Haines owns even more on the east side. I believe you have to get to Eagle Rd. before you are on State property as far as Lee's property is concerned. If you look at a topo and see Stormy Hill behind Hog Wallow Bogs that is still Haines property. I don't think it extends to the other side of the river though.

Steve

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
BEHR655 said:
Lee Brothers own a great deal of property on the west side of the river and Haines owns even more on the east side. I believe you have to get to Eagle Rd. before you are on State property as far as Lee's property is concerned. If you look at a topo and see Stormy Hill behind Hog Wallow Bogs that is still Haines property. I don't think it extends to the other side of the river though.

Steve

Geez, I didn't realize that high an amount was private holdings. Perhaps the opposite side of the river then.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
grendelHow come there is so much of that in Jersey (litter) and so little in other states?? Because people who do that are mostly not hikers.Limit car access said:
I wish this was entirely true, but the "stuff" I've seen (mentioned by Tom M) was not near enough to a road to have been drivers, it was from from hikers. Hikers who did't bury their own "waste" and thought it was funny. I don't want to be negative. I wish Jersey had more back country camping. I would do my share to try and bring it about. But it would definitely be an uphill battle.