North of Nash's Cabin

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I am looking at Mapsend's map in the area of Nash's Cabin. I've been there once. As I recall, we drove in from the south on Martha Road to Nash's Cabin Road.

If we didn't turn off onto Nash's Cabin Road, how far and how travelable is Martha Road?

It looks as though Shamong gets up into the area too. Is that driveable all the way up there?

The map shows that Martha Road eventually intersects Andrews Road. Andrews Road looks like it continues to Oswego Lake/Penn Place Road. I am pretty certain one cannot get there, however. If I recall, from Penn Place Road, all roads south are blocked off from public access. Is this true coming from the south as well?

What I am looking for is a remote area that would be a good hike from wherever one leaves the vehicle. It looks like the area north of Nash's Cabin, south of Oswego Lake, close to the Oswego River (north of Martha Road) would fit that bill. Has anyone ever been in there?

Fro,

The farthest I've been on Martha Rd is to were there had been a cedar cut back in the 70's. I think you can make it in your car. The coords are: 39D 42.6244 74D 29.9521
It looks like there would be so good hiking back there.

Steve

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
You are more confident of me getting back there than I am. It was April when I was there. I recall thinking I could drive to Jessie Evans area. Nash's is about two miles from there. I recall that being a road I wouldn't be able to make. Perhaps I can. We'll see. I was going to hike in from Jessie Evans and try to get near, if not to Oswego Lake.

B

BarryC

Yes, the road is blocked off from the south. I attempted to drive up the Old Martha Road, past Nash's Cabin Road once and, if I remember correctly, found private property signs. Then I reached Andrews Road, I believe. Then I attempted to drive both directions on Andrews and both ways were blocked. I believe this is what I remember. Once you go that way, the only way out is back the way you came.
One time I met a couple of hikers in their 60s at Nash's. They had hiked from Harrisville and were going to hike all the way back. Apparently that was something they did on a regular basis.
Frolickin said:
I am looking at Mapsend's map in the area of Nash's Cabin. I've been there once. As I recall, we drove in from the south on Martha Road to Nash's Cabin Road.

If we didn't turn off onto Nash's Cabin Road, how far and how travelable is Martha Road?

It looks as though Shamong gets up into the area too. Is that driveable all the way up there?

The map shows that Martha Road eventually intersects Andrews Road. Andrews Road looks like it continues to Oswego Lake/Penn Place Road. I am pretty certain one cannot get there, however. If I recall, from Penn Place Road, all roads south are blocked off from public access. Is this true coming from the south as well?

What I am looking for is a remote area that would be a good hike from wherever one leaves the vehicle. It looks like the area north of Nash's Cabin, south of Oswego Lake, close to the Oswego River (north of Martha Road) would fit that bill. Has anyone ever been in there?