Not Pine Barrens ....

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
I just spent some time in the Delaware Water gap the last two weeks taking some pictures. The foilage is as nice as I've ever seen. I saw plenty of deer, turkey and two bears, one of which I got some photos of. I'm not sure if anyone from this board spends time up there but the National Park Service is planning to demolish upwards of 200 abandoned buildings. The link below mentions only 71 but another 120 are slated as well. Tim

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1281625821196190.xml&coll=3

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Very nice pics!! I inherited my parents house in East Stroudsburg Pa. When you sit in the kitchen, you've got a perfect view of the gap. Love driving along route 80 thru there. When I was younger, if friends went to the house with me, we'd stop at the Water Gap and hike around for a bit.

I wonder if the buildings they are talking about, were part of the Tocks Island Dam project that never happened??

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
My step father belonged to a hunting club in Wallpack so I spent a lot of time up there hunting and fishing the Big and Little Flatbrook when I was younger. The buildings in question were sezed when the government was planning to build the damn. This money would be better spent on fixing up some of historically significant places like the Shoemaker-Houck Farm which is in total disrepair. Tim

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We were up there a weekend ago; took a trip to Steamtown for the excursion to Moscow, then stopped at the Gap the next day. Dinner at Johnnys on the way home :dance:

A few pix;

Steamtown

130060058.jpg

130060066.jpg

130060068.jpg

Dingman's Falls area

130059670.jpg

130059667.jpg

130059676.jpg

130059874.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
46er

I like your photos. I haven't spent a lot of time on the PA side but I plan to come the spring.

Where is Johnny's ? I have heard about it but I've never have been there.

Tim

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
X marks the spot for Johnny's. Butzville, has a nice ring to it. One year I mailed my Xmas cards from there :)

5148471922_afcdf7f35d_z.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Beautiful pics! I grew up in a less pretty part of northern Jersey but spent countless hours exploring that area and can’t visit it enough. On a related note, Ocean County Parks is leading a guided hike in that region this Sunday (11/7) and there are still several spaces open in the van. We are hiking a loop that will start at Old Mine Rd. and hook up with the Appalachian Trail and will total about 7 ½ miles. Part of the trail will be quite steep. It meets at Ocean County Park, in Lakewood at 7:30am and returns by approximately 4pm, give or take. The fee is ten dollars per person. If you are interested, send me a private message first to make sure there are still seats. I’ll repeat this message in the get-together forum as well.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
generally satring and a lowered head mean "you want some of this punk?" but then again it could be a new tactic to make you drop yer sammich and run,after all this one isn't literate in English like Yogi was.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Missed this thread when it first started. I live about 35 minutes from the gap, and spend a lot of time up there. I believe I have explored and photographed every one of the abandoned structures from Port Jervis to I-80 on both sides of the river.

The whole story is a very sad one to me, which I won't recount in full here. It's worth some research for anyone interested in Jersey history. It all began with the flood of '55, which killed over 100 people and led to proposals for damming and controlling the last great untamed river in the U.S. In the end Tock Island Dam was never built, and hundreds of families were forced off land they had lived on, in some cases, for over 200 years, often by very crass and extortionate tactics on the part of the Corps ("You don't want to sell? That's your right. It's also our right to remove the power, water, and paved roads leading to your property."). Less than two years after seizure many of the properties were offered for rental while the debate over Tock Island continued. In response to the ads for the rentals placed in the NYT and other papers the whole area was invaded by squatting hippies who took over the structures the families had vacated and stayed for years, until Federal Marshals backed by bulldozers evicted them. It's an amazing story that has gone largely untold.

With respect to the structures themselves, there are plenty that can and should be torn down. These are mostly vacation homes from the early part of the 20th century through to 1950 or so. Virtually none of these are repairable, and few have any historical significance. They've been torn to hell by partying teens in almost every case.

But there are dozens of others that you would really hope can be saved, some of which are pictured in the OP's photos. Most of these have hand-hewn beams which are still fastened with oaken pegs, atop hand-laid stone foundations. Unfortunately every single one of these properties except the official survivor structures in Millbrook has deteriorated dramatically over the last twenty years. The NPS has spent millions on plans and consultants, and very little on roofers, carpenters, and painters. This area encompasses the absolute earliest settlements in Northwestern NJ, including homesteads of the Van Campens, Depuis (Depew, De Puis), and others. The NPS has simply and completely dropped the ball on all of these, and its a damn shame.

The bottom line is that the past cannot be undone. The area is now a park, and the official museum for the structures that used to be there is in Millbrook. Everything else will eventually be torn down or allowed to collapse into a heap through intentional official neglect, with the obvious exception of the "Van Campen Inn" and one or two other structures of historical interest.

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
Sorry for the delay in responding but I was on vacation and did not have access to a PC.

Manumskin - The bear’s posture in the picture wasn't a threatening one. The picture was taken on the side of the Old Mine Road near the Calno school house. The bear found something and was digging it up. Twice cars came by and he ran into the woods only to come back. He would be digging and every so often look up to keep an eye me since I was only about 40 yards away. I'm no expert on bears but I think this may have been a young bear by its behavior. Almost every bear I have ever encountered has taken off when seeing me.
Tim

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
usually staring by a bear is the first sign of stress,kind of a back up chump stare but if he was digging that would explain the lowered head posture which is the position the back up stare is usually given from and the stare being it's a still photo may have just been a quick check to ascertain your position as you say but under normal circumstances a lowered head with a prolonged stare is the first and occasionally the last warning usually followed by huffing and chomping and then slobbering and then a charge which could be bluff or real.sometimes when surprised the bear will just charge immediately especially with cubs involved and of course Griz are much more likely to charge then black bear though young male black bears are more likely to make a predatory attack since they have no home range and are genrally hungry from wandering and looking for food in unfamiliar areas and being harrassed by bigger bears are quicker to attack something that appears to be easy prey as a slow,skinny person would be.Though here also every actual encounter I have had the bear either took off or a campground bear once basically ignored me.
Al