"Oak Bottom" after the Fire

Discussion in 'Get Togethers, Events, and Trip Reports' started by Rooftree, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Rooftree

Rooftree Explorer

Today, I retraced my steps from the day I did the "Oak Bottom" Post back in February. This time it was much warmer; and after the major forest fire that took placed a couple weeks ago. This area suffered a direct hit.

The most intriguing observation between the two visits was the valley that I was passing through. In my first visit, I didn't see much of a valley, even though Harshbeger described an "oak forest in the valley of the Sykes Branch". I was only able to see a slight incline heading down toward the stream which I could barely see, only 10 yards from the road. However, today I could see it quite clearly and the forest going up on the other side. On the previous visit, on the far side on the road, I could only see trees with dense undergrowth. Today with the burnt forest, I could see clearly all the way up to the ridge that created a well defined valley.

Below are a few "before and after" photos, and some others from today.

Before:
    IMG_7873.JPG

After:
    IMG_8198.JPG

After:
    IMG_8202.JPG

Before:
    IMG_7880.JPG

After:
    IMG_8221.JPG

Before:
    IMG_7882.JPG

After:
    IMG_8212.JPG

Looking up toward the ridge
    IMG_8193.JPG

Looking down from the ridge
    IMG_8206.JPG

The Stream
    IMG_8226.JPG

2. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Ron, Al and I were very close to you. We did a real rugged drive through the worst of it. Very interesting.

Attached Files:

3. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I must admit almost all of the places you drove today I would have walked or not went.That Tacoma is a beast.Glad we didn't have to ;leave it in the middle of Papoose Branch:)

4. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

One thing intrigued me. It was quite a crown fire in the worst part. The cones opened up with some force, right on the tree.
    opencone.JPG

Toothy Critter and manumuskin like this.
  5. Toothy Critter

Toothy Critter Explorer