Ocean County poised for Forked River Mountains purchase

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is a nice thing to do, but for the newspaper to call it the Forked River Mountains is a real stretch. The mountains are about 2.5 miles from the edge (by my reckoning).

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is a nice thing to do, but for the newspaper to call it the Forked River Mountains is a real stretch. The mountains are about 2.5 miles from the edge (by my reckoning).

Yeah, I was excited when I saw the headline but after reading it was a little let down. Still good news though.

Jeff

BTW Bob, I like your signiture photo.:D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BTW Bob, I like your signiture photo.:D

Thanks Jeff! I modeled it after your album cover. I heard two of your songs on my Itunes within the past week and they sound great! The Pine Barrens song really fits our culture and landscape.

I know its hard to visualize, but we really are part of the Pine Barren culture. That relationship (and tie) isn't just reserved for older pineys now long gone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know its hard to visualize, but we really are part of the Pine Barren culture. That relationship (and tie) isn't just reserved for older pineys now long gone.

Today is tomorrows history. Basically, the good old days :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks Bob, I think that song might be my personal favorite on the album, for exactly the reasons you stated. I suppose you and Guy are right (about our position in pinebarrens culture). It is great to be part of something like that isn't it?

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I suppose you and Guy are right (about our position in pinebarrens culture). It is great to be part of something like that isn't it? Jeff

Yes it is Jeff, very much so. Especially now. We have the geographic technology that allows us to pick and choose which areas to explore and we have several other factors on our side in this day and age:

1.) The pines are still pretty much the same as when the furnaces were in blast, in fact, in some places better because all the woods have grown back.

2.) We have vehicles that allow us to get to places quickly.

3.) Development on the fringe is still relatively minor to what it will probably be 100 years from now. More development on the fringe will bring more people into the pines to do God knows what and disrupt our current peace and quiet.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I have a few friends in Forked River that are pissed about this because they believe they will not be able to drive out there anymore. Is this true? Will things change with the purchase?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a few friends in Forked River that are pissed about this because they believe they will not be able to drive out there anymore. Is this true? Will things change with the purchase?

I don't think that is true if the County leaves it as wildland, but if they put a park there like they did at Jakes Branch in Toms River, then they would probably restrict that section. That entire area is owned by many different people / organizations, and there will always be some access in certain areas.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
The Nature Conservancy and The NJ Consevation Foundation

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/newjersey/press/press1715.html

Here again is where these two organizations perform the same function, yet one is international in scope (TNC), the other statewide (TNJCF). A continuation of the conversation in another thread about The Oswego River Preserve. It seems like NJ is slowly becoming a tapestry of preserved lands where each may have different rules governing their use, thus making for interesting field-trips by y'all! Preserving the land is a good thing, though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yes it is Jeff, very much so. Especially now. We have the geographic technology that allows us to pick and choose which areas to explore and we have several other factors on our side in this day and age:

1.) The pines are still pretty much the same as when the furnaces were in blast, in fact, in some places better because all the woods have grown back.

2.) We have vehicles that allow us to get to places quickly.

3.) Development on the fringe is still relatively minor to what it will probably be 100 years from now. More development on the fringe will bring more people into the pines to do God knows what and disrupt our current peace and quiet.

4.) (For those of us over 50) We are still in strong physical condition, enough so as to be able to pick a little travelled and lesser known waterway or bog system off of a map and exlore it to its very source with no roads or trails.
We do so without a whimper and feel a satisfaction deep in our soul over a setting sun when its through.
It's what I live for.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
4.) (For those of us over 50) We are still in strong physical condition, enough so as to be able to pick a little travelled and lesser known waterway or bog system off of a map and exlore it to its very source with no roads or trails.
We do so without a whimper and feel a satisfaction deep in our soul over a setting sun when its through. It's what I live for. Scott

My God, what a good strong point!! Well done my Pine Barren Brother. I feel EXACTLY the same way as you do. May we continue to do this as long as we can.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My God, what a good strong point!! Well done my Pine Barren Brother. I feel EXACTLY the same way as you do. May we continue to do this as long as we can.

I was struck with some strong emotion for some odd reason when I wrote that at lunch today.
I think about how short of a time we have to do things more and more as time goes by.
I buried two good friends in 2007 and 2008 that were my age and it sticks with me.

I work with people that are younger than me who are being medicated for hypertension, high cholesterol, irregular heart beats and other issues.
But for the grace of God go I on no meds of any kind, with the exception of some beer, wine and a little chew.

I am truly proud to hang with you PBX boys and look forward to at least thirty more years in the woods doing what we are doing now.

I think I better get my estrogen levels checked.
:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think about how short of a time we have to do things more and more as time goes by. I buried two good friends in 2007 and 2008 that were my age and it sticks with me.

I'm hip to that. There was an older gent who walked the street in front of my house frequently. He carried a walking stick, and he looked as fit as a fiddle. I must have seen him a hundred times, but he and I never exchanged a word. He always looked straight ahead and a little downward, never even glanced my way. I left him alone, thinking he had a lot on his mind. Turns out he did, his wife passed away a couple years earlier, and he was living alone.

Two days ago another neighbor told me he died a few weeks ago. Now I wished I had joined him for a walk, to at least talk to him awhile, see what his life was like.

We learn far too late to do some of the important things, and we usually regret it. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit in my house and rot while there are woods to walk and places to see.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Bob and Scott,
Both excellent posts! Excellent outlooks. I'm almost 70 and hope to keep going for many more years. Whenever I meet people of age, I love to hear their stories. I have found that in most cases, they are only too eager to do so. The ones that don't, well maybe they have nothing of any interest to say. Well done, gentlemen!