Oil

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Watching the news this morning with great disgust about the oil spill. I'll push my car before I'll buy another BP product intentionally. It makes me very glad there is no oil in the pines. Time to fire up the electric bleachers?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I'll push my car before I'll buy another BP product intentionally.

I cancelled my BP card yesterday, I have had this card since 94, they will get no more of my money.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I think about what is happening.

Chris

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I cancelled my BP card yesterday, I have had this card since 94, they will get no more of my money.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I think about what is happening.

Chris

Hate to say it but I doubt trying to boycott BP will do anything. They all buy off of each other. Sometimes when you go to Sunoco you get Valero gas yada yada yada. I definately feel bad for the wildlife but thats it. As far as I'm concered way back when when people discovered oil was underground its only bound to have accidents. Our ancestors are the ones to blame for allowing the drilling to occur in the first place. At least people are getting jobs out of the deal.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I don't fully understand the anti-BP backlash, but it does seem typical to me of our modern "cake and eat it too" mentality. We want to keep driving cars and atvs and motorcycles and boats, and above all we get pissed if the price of gas starts to go up. We're driving oil exploration into riskier and riskier terrain, and then when an accident occurs our first thought is to try and bankrupt the bastards for revenge.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Smack? Really?

Whether effective or not, I support anyone’s decision to boycott BP (or Exxon, or any industry which, through negligence, destroys the environment). I also support anyone’s decision to not support members of the Drill, Baby, Drill Party which blocked legislative efforts to raise liability limits for oil spills. I also support anyone’s decision to question our government and demand an investigation into Mineral Management Service (US government) activities, during both the Bush and Obama administrations, and to have it explained to him why off-shore drilling safety standards were laxed, then revealing whomever was involved in lowering these standards.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Smack? Really?

Whether effective or not, I support anyone’s decision to boycott BP (or Exxon, or any industry which, through negligence, destroys the environment). I also support anyone’s decision to not support members of the Drill, Baby, Drill Party which blocked legislative efforts to raise liability limits for oil spills. I also support anyone’s decision to question our government and demand an investigation into Mineral Management Service (US government) activities, during both the Bush and Obama administrations, and to have it explained to him why off-shore drilling safety standards were laxed, then revealing whomever was involved in lowering these standards.

Yeah. Really

Don't buy ANY gasoline then. Burn your car, your heater and anything else that may use a petroleum product. And still it won't make the slightest difference.

But I hey i must admit thats whats great about this country. I can disagree. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I also support anyone’s decision to not support members of the Drill, Baby, Drill Party which blocked legislative efforts to raise liability limits for oil spills. I also support anyone’s decision to question our government and demand an investigation into Mineral Management Service (US government) activities, during both the Bush and Obama administrations, and to have it explained to him why off-shore drilling safety standards were laxed, then revealing whomever was involved in lowering these standards.

Well, you have another thing to have questioned. They kept it kinda quiet didn't they? I wouldn't single out any one political party, they are all cut from the same cloth.

Feds approve new oil well off Louisiana.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100602/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_new_well

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Hate to say it but I doubt trying to boycott BP will do anything.

Didn't say or think it would, I had another reason also. They just won't get my money.

but it does seem typical to me of our modern "cake and eat it too" mentality

I do what I can. I car pool 100 miles every day for work, I have just went to a 4 cylinder truck which will cut my fuel consumption in half, my guys at work are routed so they drive as little as possible (GPS tracked fleet so they have to stay in route or else...) , I walk when I do not have to drive, plus other things. I try.

Chris

Dusty

May 31, 2010
Not quite in the pines...
As much as I agree someone (namely, BP and/or the Government) needs to be held accountable, I can't help but feel that we need to figure out how to stop it from getting worse before we really start to play the blame game. We can sue and prosecute and head to the Supreme Court all we'd like, but it won't stop the oil flow.

It's frightening to think about the environmental impact this is going to have. The wetlands that will be affected are so delicate. And if a hurricane rolls through the Gulf around now... well, for one thing, the water contamination would be horrific.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Didn't say or think it would, I had another reason also. They just won't get my money.

I do what I can. I car pool 100 miles every day for work, I have just went to a 4 cylinder truck which will cut my fuel consumption in half, my guys at work are routed so they drive as little as possible (GPS tracked fleet so they have to stay in route or else...) , I walk when I do not have to drive, plus other things. I try.

Chris

Not nearly enough. The whole fabric of modern life is based on petroleum and its derivatives. You can't have any of it, no matter how much you carpool or how many windfarms we build, without oil or some substitute which as yet doesn't exist. My view is that there will come a time within the next 50-75 years when people will be begging the oil companies to drill more wells.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Maybe boycotting BP will do little to harm them (see stock prices) but seeing as we are basically helpless, it does make one feel good to at least make an effort. It's spitting on a forest fire but it's an effort.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I am certainly not beyond being dense at times, but I still don't see the logic behind Boyd's remark.

Logic behind Boyds post (in my view):
go ahead and boycott everyone that makes a mistake, you won't have anything by the time you're done.

I'm sure every person that reads it may comprehend it differently. And i'm sure everyone will have different opinions on my word "mistake". Unfortunately the word "mistake" is only an opinion.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
We all have our own political views and thoughts on who should be to blame but the thought when starting this basically is it's a damned shame what's going on in the gulf. They will be giving land away down here in Florida once the currents lubricate all of the beaches. (That's not why I think it's a sad event though)

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I don't agree at all with correlating citizens consumption of oil with BP's shortcuts in its grand haste for profit. While many Americans remain oblivious to environmental concerns and continue to use the gas guzzler as transportation, it is still BP that bypassed safety standards, and handed out pay-outs to pass safety test. For a company that makes tens of billions of dollars yearly it is criminal to not follow as strict guidlines as they can. The profit would have fallen only slightly to follow stricter guidelines and ultimately saved the planet from an event that may well take on pandemic effects.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
....it is still BP that bypassed safety standards, and handed out pay-outs to pass safety test. For a company that makes tens of billions of dollars yearly it is criminal to not follow as strict guidlines as they can.

The MMS, under this administrations appointed Director Birnbaum, waived many of those strict guidlines and tests, one 11 days before the day the well blew. I wonder if that is where the payout went. She and the Interior Secty Salazar, also appointed by this administration, need to face the same criminal charges BP is accused of, they are the regulators. Think that will happen? Have you read the drilling and emergency plans that were approved by MMS? They are on the web and make a very interesting read. There is plenty of blame to go around, but it should be shared by those responsible, not just for political expediency.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The MMS, under this administrations appointed Director Birnbaum, waived many of those strict guidlines and tests, one 11 days before the day the well blew. I wonder if that is where the payout went. She and the Interior Secty Salazar, also appointed by this administration, need to face the same criminal charges BP is accused of, they are the regulators. Think that will happen? Have you read the drilling and emergency plans that were approved by MMS? They are on the web and make a very interesting read. There is plenty of blame to go around, but it should be shared by those responsible, not just for political expediency.

Agreed and agreed. They all are in bed together for the sake of unadulterated greed at the expense of our environment. My only point being that comparing the consumers consumptions to what BP and their cohorts did isn't the same game.
I tried to use my intermittent status with NPS to get on a cleanup crew, but it hasn't come through yet. Sadly, no hurry exist as this problem will be faced for generations to come.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Agreed and agreed. They all are in bed together for the sake of unadulterated greed at the expense of our environment. My only point being that comparing the consumers consumptions to what BP and their cohorts did isn't the same game.
I tried to use my intermittent status with NPS to get on a cleanup crew, but it hasn't come through yet. Sadly, no hurry exist as this problem will be faced for generations to come.

The company that did the Delaware Bay tanker cleanup, Tri-State, is co-leading the wildlife rescue effort in the Gulf, probably theonly effort that will see some results fairly quickly.

http://www.tristatebird.org/

As far as this movement to boycott BP, thats an emotional reaction to the problem. The only thing that will be hurt by doing that is to cause the independent BP station owner to suffer. BP Oil got out of the retail business years ago, the stations are now all independently owned and most are rebadged AMOCO stations. An unfortunate example of name association.