Old Foundry Water Tower Ruins??

GAK

Feb 24, 2024
S. Jersey
Found by accident. A 1950's foundry operation? Off Rt, 72 and Savoy Blvd in Woodland. Historic aerials show bunch of large bldgs and water tower is still there. The Central NJ rail tracks also connects to it. Any info? Thanks..

GAK

Feb 24, 2024
S. Jersey
Use your own judgement. Nobody here knows what lies around there in detail. Suppose somebody dug an 8 foot hole last week and it's covered with just a tarp.
So is this site considered a superfund site? Is it a toxic area? Is zinc in unhealthy amounts there? Didn't see private property signs. But will never go back. Was there very briefly and walked around then left. Thanks for any info.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

GAK

Feb 24, 2024
S. Jersey
I don't see it listed in the NJDEP Known Contaminated Sites dataset. Of course, that is not definitive...

https://gisdata-njdep.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/njdep::known-contaminated-site-list-for-new-jersey/explore?location=39.834204,-74.519378,14.36

(OT: looks like NJGIN has updated their software, and we can now link to specific places on the maps of these datasets which wasn't possible in the past. Cool. :cool: )
Thank you kindly for the DEP info. Will come in handy. We are fine for now. Just spooked by all this.

Reactions: Boyd

GAK

Feb 24, 2024
S. Jersey
I don't think zinc itself is dangerous,question is what kind of chemicals did they use to smelt it? I think if it was dangerous there would be signs up warning folks of such kinda like at the superfund site down the rd off 72
My buddy and I were freaked a little because of slight metallic taste in our mouths after we left. I wouldn't recommend anyone venture back there. Like you said. What else is there? Lead, asbestos? I hope not. We'll stick to the older sites like ROG that we also visited that same day. We have been going to the Pines since the 1980's, driving thru, shooting clays w shotguns, etc. Started all this historic explorations stuff only 2 years ago. Many thanks to you All from all of us.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Look up "pioneer smelting" in the search box, and you can see the threads.

I found this in a thread from 2003, from just before they demolished that site.

All,

If you have anything in your possession from the Pioneer Smelting company you may want to throw it out.

I talked today to a man who was at the township meeting in Woodland Township last night (Monday) and the subject of the Pioneer Smelting was brought up by the lawyer for the township. Apparently there is a concern about the health of people who visit the site and are contaminated by the residue from the Zinc which the ground around and the bricks of the building contain. The lawyers are concerned enough that in the comings weeks the township is going to erect signs there warning the public of entering the property. And eventually they are going to erect a 10 foot high fence around it with a guard stationed there as the demolition and cleanup of the property begins. It is estimated that it will take 3 years to complete. So if you have never been there and want photo's of it you had better do it this year. Some of us know what happens when you enter a property that has a sign telling you to keep off like Bulltown road, and your pocket gets somewhat lighter.

I also found out that there are tunnels below or in the building where the Zinc was moved from room to room. I was talking to a college student who is an avid paintballer who frequents the place often, and he has tried to enter them without success. They are either filled in or blocked by debris.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My buddy and I were freaked a little because of slight metallic taste in our mouths after we left.
Anxiety can cause that. It's likely only because you were unsure if you were trespassing, unsure if you were on camera, and concerned that you may have been exposed to something.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JessicaThompsonPioneer_.jpeg

Reactions: Boyd

martink

Scout
Apr 5, 2009
Hammonton NJ
www.quakerranter.org
Don't know anything about that place but my mom grew up in Palmerton, Pa., home of giant zinc factories and it was truly bizarre to visit when I was a kid. The mountainside was completely barren, just red dirt, and nothing grew in the town. People would be thrilled if they could get a small stand of weeds to grow in their yard. My grandmother was in complete denial, saying the chemicals in the air must be healthy because there were so many older people in town (I think it was more like everyone young getting out as soon as they could). Once the Superfund program started it was obviously one of the first places identified and I think they've done a lot of remediation since.

Reactions: 66C10 and Boyd

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
Zinc chloride toxicity (cf. the link to 1942 operations) is acute; it appears to be the result of hydrolysis to zinc oxychloride and hydrochloric acid, the latter of which will burn mucous membranes, etc. Zinc contamination is bad for aquatic life (high concentrations may affect the embryonic development of various species) but it's fairly harmless to humans when ingested, hence the market for zinc gluconate supplements.

In the mid-Atlantic, zinc contamination is associated with vulcanized fiber manufacturing (which used zinc chloride baths to fuse sheets of paper into a sort of primitive plastic) and smelters like the one at Palmerton, or Monaca in western Pennsylvania. IIRC, zinc ores tend to occur as sulfides, so smelting them also released corrosive sulfuric acid vapors, as well as exciting and nastier co-occurring metals like cadmium and lead. It was impossible to remove all the contamination from the face of Blue Mountain at Palmerton due to the terrain, so they actually wound up airdropping a bunch of soil and turning it into a sort of rocky savannah with relatively metal-resistant flora. One Appalachian species (wild bleeding-heart, S1 or S1.1 in New Jersey) apparently thrives under these conditions and is quite abundant at both smelter sites. See this excellent report for more than you ever wanted to know about zinc smelting in the mid-Atlantic.

So I wouldn't be too worried about the health effects of zinc exposure at the site. It's possible that there were other contaminants from smaller-scale things (e.g., cleaning equipment with a chlorinated solvent and dumping it on the ground) but Bob's suggestion that any peculiar sensations were due to anxiety is probably the most reasonable explanation.

Chemicals percolating through the soil and contaminating the aquifer make for big and messy cleanups, but walking around a site like that is not likely to cause exposure. That said, I'd probably try to avoid bringing home dust from sites contaminated by the nastier heavy metals (lead, cadmium, nickel come to mind) or by asbestos fibers. (Well, OK, I did visit the tailings dumps at an asbestos mine once, but those are pretty safe as the asbestos was thoroughly separated by flotation before the tailings were dumped--when the environmental people have pictures of themselves scurrying over the piles without moonsuits, it's probably OK.)