old mining remains

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
piker56 said:
When would they normally pump to flood the bogs? I went fishing at Harrisville Lake last September and tried to go up stream a little. The water level was pretty low.

They haven't pumped water out of the Oswego for years, however, it wouldn't surprise me that water is diverted from around Lake Oswego to flood some of Haines Bogs. They normally wouldn't flood them until later in the year though. I only paddled down from Oswego Lake to Harrisville once in the spring when the water was high. Even then it was quite low. I understand that the river is tough to paddle during much of the year.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oriental said:
I spoke with a person today whose family has been in the cranberry business for generations. He seems to recall it working through the 60's and possibly into the 70's. Apparently it was a success in getting water to those bogs. It is my understanding that the Cutts family sold the land where the pump and bogs are to the State but are leasing back the bogs from them. Don't know about that for sure. Perhaps when the State took over they put an end to the pumping of water out of the Oswego there. I want to say that most of the water for their bogs is pumped from wells now. I'll try and find out.

From being there in the mid 70's I would say it did not make it to the 70's but that is just a guess. It does not take long for vandals to make things look old.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I can't stand when I am out there and I see "piney power" or "piney princess" or another one, "pizza queen" spray painted on things that are already rapidly being lost to time and can never be replaced.