On the go today!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We did various things this morning. Our first stop was a clear-cut that was mentioned to me about a month or so ago and I just got around to getting there. I am not sure if the person who told me wants me to mention him, so if he wants to chime in please do. This cut is in an odd location, and we have not figured out why this was done. It is on state property and someone put blue markers around the trees in a wide area in anticipation of a vehicle of some sorts clearing it. They left many trees standing and many just laying there. The location is behind the clearing by the former Highland Park Gun Club on the Ives Branch. Anyone know anything about this?

The location.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.659394&lng=-74.465665&z=16&type=k&gpx=

The cut.

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

On the way through that field I took this photo. I am going out on a limb and saying it is Toadflax (Linaria canadensis). Click the photo when it opens to make it larger.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06272009/IMG_2288a.jpg

Also found this.

IMG_2298.JPG

And in a small flower bog I found the next two photo’s.

Rose Pogonia (Pogonia ophioglossoides)

IMG_2304a.jpg

Spatula Leaved Sundew

IMG_2308a.jpg

Then to stone searching. On the way we found this. Anyone hungry?

IMG_2312.JPG

50 feet away was this recent dig. The photo after shows a print. Any guesses?

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

We found three monuments and one stone. Painting it green will really help it stand out in the woods!

IMG_2317.JPG

Then to Rockwood to check on the blueberries. Nice and free!

IMG_2327.JPG

You may remember a while back I mentioned there was a photo of a man at Rockwood, along with initials on a tree and a wooden turtle. Today there is another photo and a much larger wooden turtle. This person must have been a turtle lover and must have died there or liked the area. Does anyone know anything about it?

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

Both photo’s can be viewed.

IMG_2326.JPG

And on the way out in the trees at Rockwood proper.

IMG_2331.JPG

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Great photos! The foot-print is a raccoon? The photo of the young man looks like a memorial. The wooden turtle? What significance does the turtle have in Eastern Native peoples? Symbolism?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am going to place a note there with my email address and ask them to contact me.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice trip Guy, are the three Monuments that you found Bass River State Forest Monuments ?

Jim

No, they are Wharton. I was in the woods along 206 in the area south of Chew Road. One stone I think is there but underground. I am going back the next time I am in the area and dig for it. The other may also be there but there was glass all over, and I already had a run in with glass while digging.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
No, they are Wharton. I was in the woods along 206 in the area south of Chew Road. One stone I think is there but underground. I am going back the next time I am in the area and dig for it. The other may also be there but there was glass all over, and I already had a run in with glass while digging.

Guy

If i recall correctly, was the other glass incident when you and Al went to the Elnathan Davis Stone ?

Jim

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am going to place a note there with my email address and ask them to contact me.

Guy

That place must have a very special meaning for someone.

I recall some years back at our cabin. It was early spring and I was looking for waterfalls. At one of the largest, I found a small bouquet of flowers lying on a rock. I just had this feeling something bad had happened there and felt I was an intruder, but the picture begged to be taken. I later found out that a young man had fallen to his death from the rock face alongside Roaring Brook Falls while ice climbing two years back. His wife-to-be places the flower there each spring, she has a copy of the photo.

114345534.jpg

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
You unearth plenty of interesting things to photograph, Guy. That sundew--looks as if it's made of glass and beads. Who'd think to find such artistry in a carnivore!

Thanks--Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, that plant that bee is invading. What was it? Do you have other photos of it?

It is not a plant, it is a tree. And since I am not a tree expert I can't tell you what kind it is. They are all over at Rockwood proper.

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It actually may be a very very large bush but I think it is a tree. Isn't that pitiful I don't know the difference :cry:

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Rockwood

Wow, what a neat site you found with the photos Guy. I personally wouldn't mind spending my after life in the pine barrens. Some people have a love for it that won't let go. I don't know if anyone else has seen them, but I'm sure people have, but there is a pretty recent grave in the bushes at the wading river bridge on 563 and there is a wreath and cross (I think) just up the Oswego River from the Martha's furnace site. And I'm sure there's others out there as well. I think it's respectful to honor those who spent time at places like that, but I wonder how the Parks department feels about displays like that in the forest?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, what a neat site you found with the photos Guy. I personally wouldn't mind spending my after life in the pine barrens. Some people have a love for it that won't let go. I don't know if anyone else has seen them, but I'm sure people have, but there is a pretty recent grave in the bushes at the wading river bridge on 563 and there is a wreath and cross (I think) just up the Oswego River from the Martha's furnace site. And I'm sure there's others out there as well. I think it's respectful to honor those who spent time at places like that, but I wonder how the Parks department feels about displays like that in the forest?

That is the Dion Marie Robers stone at Evans Bridge. She isn't there, just the stone. She is buried in the Hope Church Cemetery in Lakewood. She owned a canoe business for 20 years and her and her daughters decided to put a stone there after her death and also have a small service.

Guy