On the Trail of Y-Buc Bill

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A while back I posted pics of my friend Y-Buc Bill blasting through the pines on his Harley Davidson back before most of us were born. (Circa 1950)
Bill was an early member of the Meteor MC and is still a member of the South Jersey Enduro Riders.

A few weeks ago Bill gave me some of his Route Sheets from the 1951 Sandy Lane Enduro and I have scanned them and am posting them here.
The enduro began and ended at the Pic and if you read through the routes and checkpoints you will see many references to places we talk about today and some new ones as well.
Bloody Bridge along the Nescocheague is one of them. The Edward Young Gun Club is new one for me.
This enduro was about 80 miles long and stretched out to New Gretna.
"No smoking in the woods" boys.
Enjoy.
Thanks for sharing Bill.

Scott

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Okay, thanks to major surgical intervention, defibrillators, ventilators and other life support services administered by our very own Teegate, here are the route sheets.
They are links to my gallery and you can click on the image once it comes up to enlarge it.
Thanks Guy and thank you Ben for making all of this frivolity possible.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/13552/title/bill-27s-route-2/cat/281

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/13551/title/bill-27s-route/cat/281

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Bill sent me this response today to my email address.
I was a little off on the mileage.

"If you add up each section on the route sheet,you will have a lot more then 80 miles.Back then our Turkey runs in the fall were about that mileage.An Enduro in those days was 200 + miles in length.Probably closer to 250 miles.In 1947 Sandy Lane was a 500 mile National Two day event.Thats a lot of miles on a highway.Try that in the woods"

Truly, iron men back in the day.

Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looked quite far since they were even riding along the coast I believe.

Guy

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
More on the Route Sheet

Thanks for the kind words Scott..Just like to add a little info to the Route Sheet.Key time for the Enduro was 6 AM.That is the Phantom rider.Riders on #1 start at 6 .01 and so on.As you can see noon control was back at Pic's On hour lay over.First riders due to finish at 4.51 PM.If you have a late number you better have a head lite.All this figures out to 10 hours riding[if you are on time ],.This Enduro was about 222 miles long.Enduro.s are a lot tougher today.Most less then 100 miles.The cycles are made for riding Enduros.Back in the old days,you had a choice of a Harley or an Indian.Triumphs,BSA's,AJS's,Matchless's were all street bikes and riders converted them for the wood's.If you did not know how to ride deep sugar sand on these big bike's,you were in trouble.My first sand run,I must of parted with my bike at least 50 times.You have to realize the gear shift was on the tank and the foot shift was on the left foot board.The secret to riding deep sugar sand was to get your bike in high gear as fast as you can and pour it on.Getting on top of the sand and relaxing was the way to go.Way back when,the two tracker was deep sugar sand from Route 206 to Quaker Bridge and beyond..Another rider John Fenimore and I rode that side by side at 60+ miles per hour many times.All this took place before the State bought the Wharton Estate.As long as there is an interest,I will be glad to give Scott a lot of info.

jthomas1479

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks

Once again i just wanted to say thank you to all of you, no information is better than from the ones who were there. i am surprised to read tho that bill says the race is harder today. i ride a harley now and riding on the road for 200 miles is a long day no less in the woods and falling 50 times a race. lol

josh