original plan for Egg Harbor City

B

BarryC

Egg Harbor City was a planned city. It was advertised in Germany before it was built. (It was founded around 1850) They sold lots ahead of time I believe. *On paper* the city was laid out with 100 streets from the railroad to the Mullica River. These were all parallel to the railroad. All 100 of them were named for people that would have been famous to the people of Germany in the 1840s. Somewhere in my newspaper clippings I have a list of these 100 streets.
In the end very few of these streets were ever built. The highway that is Route 30 today was the first of these streets. It was known as Agassiz Street (not sure of the spelling). There are 6 more, and then Duerer, which extends into Galloway and Mullica Twps. North of Duerer there are 1- or 2-block sections of 5 more streets, and that's it. The city never became anything approaching what it was planned to be. But fortunately now most of the land north of Duerer Street (561) is wild Pine Barrens.
All of the avenues that are perpendicular to the railroad and Route 30 were named after cities around the world. All of them are cities in the USA, but the Egg Harbor street grid extends out into Galloway and Mullica Twps., for some reason, although the avenues are much further apart. In Galloway the avenues are named for various cities around the world *except* in the USA. In Mullica 4 of the Avenues are named for German cities and the rest are numbered (4th, 5th, 6th, 7th).
Within the far northern reaches of Egg Harbor City are several ghost towns- Clark's Landing, Gloucester Landing and Gloucester Furnace. Before 1838 there was no Atlantic County. Gloucester County was huge then. Gloucester Furnace took the name of the county. That's why it's called that. These towns were gone or almost gone by the time Egg Harbor was founded.
I've never found any cellar holes at Gloucester Furnace, but hopefully we can find some on the 7th.

B

BarryC

streets that aren't there

Guess what I found? I went to http://www.mapquest.com/maps/main.adp? I typed in Clarks Landing Road, Egg Harbor City, NJ and it gave me a whole bunch of choices. I chose the top left choice and clicked on it. Then I panned a bit to the west and guess what I found? All those streets that were planned but never built! They are all there on Mapquest. I suppose if you searched using Egg Harbor City with no address you could pan north and east and find these streets too.
Between Moss Mill Road and the lake there are only a handful of streets. North of the lake there are none. Just Philadelphia Avenue (563), 624 and 652.
I think this is pretty cool. I saved part of the map to my picture file. Very cool.
Barry