ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nearly every road off of Railroad Ave is free of environmental sensitivity and none are frequented by the destructors. There is no good reason for them to be closed. Auermuller stated outside of the Waterford meeting that they closed all of those roads first to protect the "Batsto Natural Area. "
That is a term I never heard until I viewed the MAP.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Auermuller stated outside of the Waterford meeting that they closed all of those roads first to protect the "Batsto Natural Area. "
And if that is the case, that there is some legitimate "Batsto Natural Area" and there really was some legitimate reason to close it, the way it is done now is a waste of time, and impacts all of us. We have to park way out on Railroad Ave and the "bad guys" will just drive right over that sign. (which I heard is already cut down anyway?) If they were really serious about protecting it, they could move the closure down to the end of the road, carve out a little spot to park and put up a simple barrier in a place where there are no easy go arounds. That would legitimately stop damage from being done and allow us to still easily get to it and use it. That is why I think we need to continue to push hard to take the MAP completely off the table and start with a blank sheet of paper, where Rob can come to the table with a specific, legitimate goals and we can talk about solutions to those specific goals as opposed to the current MAP which is a "forbidden unless permitted" model.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
they closed all of those roads first to protect the "Batsto Natural Area. "

Really? I recall there used to be signs posted "entering Batsto Natural Area, no vehicles allowed" on the trails for as long as I can remember. Have not be there in a long time, so maybe they are gone. But the area has been marked on the printed maps of Wharton going way back. I mentioned it earlier in this thread in fact.

I don't see a date on this map, but it is obviously not new...

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/STATE_FORESTS_PARKS/BatstoWhartonTractCombo.gif

Now, closing roads in that area is another matter of course. ;)

batsto.png

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Not one in the same Boyd, in my opinion. Look at the MAP. The "Batsto Natural Area" text is generally centered at the Locks area. None of the roads or trails have ever been posted in that area over at least the last 30 years. Until now.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Really? I recall there used to be signs posted "entering Batsto Natural Area, no vehicles allowed" on the trails for as long as I can remember. Have not be there in a long time, so maybe they are gone. But the area has been marked on the printed maps of Wharton going way back. I mentioned it earlier in this thread in fact.

It's been on the Wharton web site page and map as far as I can remember. It is also shown on the July update of the map. There is also one designated for the Oswego River;

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

Batsto Natural Area (9449 acres)
This natural area is composed of two sections bordering the Batsto and Mullica rivers and contains several forest communities that are representative of New Jersey Pine Barrens.

Oswego River Natural Area (1,927 acres)
Extensive white cedar and pitch pine forests border the Oswego River. This freshwater wetland corridor is home to the rare bog asphodel, Pine Barren boneset, curly grass fern and Pine Barrens treefrog.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not one in the same Boyd, in my opinion. Look at the MAP. The "Batsto Natural Area" text is generally centered at the Locks area. None of the roads or trails have ever been posted in that area over at least the last 30 years. Until now.

There are two, one near Atsion, the other near Batsto along Batsto Lake

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Scott, it looks like the same area that is shown on the printed Wharton maps going way back. I don't know that the placement of the label itself on the MAP is significant. That label is for a darker shaded area on the MAP that corresponds to the shaded Natural Area on the 1993 Wharton map below. Looks the same to me….

naturalarea.jpg

MAP.png

Last edited:

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I really have no way to substantiate this at the moment, but I just read on a New Jersey specific Jeep forum that some previously accessible roads in Stokes State Forest have been gated as of this weekend. Trying to get more details right now, and I will start a new thread so as not to hijack this one, but I wanted folks involved in this thread that the Division of Parks and Forestry may have aspirations far beyond Stokes...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Folks,
Jessica, Guy and myself rode back to Lock's Bridge this morning. We went in on the west side of the Mullica, down Railroad Ave . When we reach Lock's Bridge Road we found it closed, as reported. We parked on Railroad Ave and walked down Lock's Bridge Road. The entire length of the road I could not find any reason why this road should be close. No sign that an ORV was ever there and the place was clean, not even an old bottle or can anywhere. In fact there are good reasons why it should be open. As you can see from Guy's panorama photo on the "Sunrise on Carranza Road" thread it's one of the more beautiful spots on the Mullica, it's one of the oldest historic sites in the area and the location of the first and maybe the only "Lock" ever built on the Mullica, and from the many post on this forum it's a popular place for folks to began a lawn chair, the dog, and just relax for an afternoon. I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone is making a list of closed roads that should be re-opened Lock's Bridge Road should be high on their list.

I told Rob as much. He wasn't very sympathetic.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, it looks like the same area that is shown on the printed Wharton maps going way back. I don't know that the placement of the label itself on the MAP is significant. That label is for a darker shaded area on the MAP that corresponds to the shaded Natural Area on the 1993 Wharton map below. Looks the same to me….

View attachment 6173

View attachment 6174
Agreed Boyd. It seemed that the description and mapping in the first brochure you linked to appeared to be a much smaller area.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Finally got a response from rep mazzeo and sen whelan. My take away is they have already been prepped by the ppa and are atleast ok with the map, if not supportive. Very diassapointing...

Thank you for contacting my office regarding recent changes made to
Wharton State Forest. I am cognizant of your concerns about Wharton's
new Motorized Access Plan (MAP), as well as its adoption without public
input. Wharton should be as accessible as possible to hikers, fishers,
and outdoor enthusiasts who want to experience its pristine environment.

My staff has had discussions with officials at both Wharton State Forest
and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance (PPA) about the new MAP. As you
may know, for almost a decade Wharton had no means of enforcing its 2003
MAP, which is nearly identical to the one recently adopted. The
substantial damage by illegal off-road vehicles has inadvertently
created new "roads" that law-abiding motorists mistake for official
roads that are part of the MAP.

I have sent a letter to Superintendent Auermeller requesting that he
consider a public hearing regarding the changes that are being made. A
hearing would give the public a chance to learn more about why the MAP
has been put in place and give Wharton State Forest officials an
opportunity to hear from outdoor enthusiasts like you. Concerns from the
public should be given proper consideration after the hearing is held.

Thank you for taking the time to express your views on this issue. We
hope we can find a balance between protecting the wildlife of Wharton
State Forest and allowing citizens to enjoy the beautiful forest. Please
feel free to contact our office with any other questions or concerns you
may have.

Regards,

Senator Jim Whelan
&
Assemblyman Vince Mazzeo

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Tsqurd and others who are willing to go a little further in convincing their Senators or towns, please PM me and I can provide you some additional information and guidance that might help your cause. I don't want to post it here because our opponents don't have it yet and we know there are folks watching here.

Last edited:

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Folks,
Jessica, Guy and myself rode back to Lock's Bridge this morning. We went in on the west side of the Mullica, down Railroad Ave . When we reach Lock's Bridge Road we found it closed, as reported. We parked on Railroad Ave and walked down Lock's Bridge Road. The entire length of the road I could not find any reason why this road should be close. No sign that an ORV was ever there and the place was clean, not even an old bottle or can anywhere. In fact there are good reasons why it should be open. As you can see from Guy's panorama photo on the "Sunrise on Carranza Road" thread it's one of the more beautiful spots on the Mullica, it's one of the oldest historic sites in the area and the location of the first and maybe the only "Lock" ever built on the Mullica, and from the many post on this forum it's a popular place for folks to began a lawn chair, the dog, and just relax for an afternoon. I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone is making a list of closed roads that should be re-opened Lock's Bridge Road should be high on their list.
Don, I took your advice from the Locks Bridge thread and used the advantage of the low water level to investigate around the lock on Labor Day. I agree that this road should be open. Another road that should be opened is the access road just above this one, the one that leads to the head of the Ponds. However, the road that runs along the river that connects these two access roads should be closed. Sadly, this was a delightful footpath only ten years ago until someone decided to drive a vehicle down it - then others followed.
Locks Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don, I took your advice from the Locks Bridge thread and used the advantage of the low water level to investigate around the lock on Labor Day. I agree that this road should be open. Another road that should be opened is the access road just above this one, the one that leads to the head of the Ponds. However, the road that runs along the river that connects these two access roads should be closed. Sadly, this was a delightful footpath only ten years ago until someone decided to drive a vehicle down it - then others followed.View attachment 6179

I'm right with you Jim, that connector road is a good example of what they are suppose to be closing, roads that were made by four wheelers and are not real roads. I guess they don't know the difference so they just close them all. I'll bet that is a nice walk between roads. High ground I believe.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Don, I took your advice from the Locks Bridge thread and used the advantage of the low water level to investigate around the lock on Labor Day. I agree that this road should be open. Another road that should be opened is the access road just above this one, the one that leads to the head of the Ponds. However, the road that runs along the river that connects these two access roads should be closed. Sadly, this was a delightful footpath only ten years ago until someone decided to drive a vehicle down it - then others followed.View attachment 6179
While I agree with you this road is not needed. It has been there longer then 10 years. In 2008 the forest fire cleared it out and it has more traffic both of which makes it more visable. It can be easily seen in the 1963 aerial and even earlier.