Oswego Kayak trip 7/4/06

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Me and my 2 buddies headed out about 8 to finally do the Oswego trip we wanted to do. AWESOME. Water level was a little low. Traffic was a little high but we found so many cool creatures and plants it was great. Leapord frogs, Pickeral frogs I believe they were, caught a bunch of baby painters in the spring runoffs on little side legs of the river. (water was about 10 degrees colder and crystal clear) Almost caught a nice spotted turtle and musk turtle. Grabbed at some kind of water snake but decided I didnt want to find out the hard way if it was poisonous. Turkey vultures galor. Pitcher plants, sun dews, and some of those weird white fuzzy plants with the yellow flower that someone posted in another thread. Great times!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
"Caught"?

I KNOW you didn't mean to imply you "caught" the creatures you are describing, but instead meant to say you "caught a VIEW of them"? Because, and y'all can correct me if I'm wrong, I thought collecting plants and animals in the PB's was just a tad illegal? Unless, of course, you are a scientist with permits from the grand ooopah! Or a forester cutting down tress, etc.

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Caught as in grabbed them with my hands and inspected them. After the inspection and a cool picture I carefully put them back where they came from. Didnt know that was illegal, next time I wont share anything I do in the pines,, Might be illegal.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
the wife i drove to "martha" on the 4th and walked to the bridge to check the water level, yea, it was low but i have kayaked it lower, but would not do it that low again about 3 to 4 inches lower than the 4th

about a week befor we hiked in that area and the water level at the bridge due the rainfall was appx 3 feet higher than on the 4th it would have been nice to kayak it then

good to hear you had a nice trip, did you have get out and and play boat drag anywhere ?

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Very few spots actually. Mostly doing the scoot motion moving back and forth (the lazy way of not getting out). Actually there isnt one area we really HAD to stop. It was very fun maneuvering all through there though. Great time.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report 4x4, I'm glad you had a good time. The oswego is one of the most beautiful in the barrens. I often see blue herons on my trips between Oswego and Harrisville pond.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
swwit said:
Unfortunately, it actually is. :(

How very interesting. So this July 4 morning with my daughter & I out on my QUAD.... WOOPSY, strike that, stopped to check out a little painter she spotted ( and just plain thought was cool ), picked it up, looked it over, and set it down to take a pic, that was Illegal. Or is turtle groping O.K.
I wouldn't want to break any laws. I was still with the impression that......
ILLEGAL was a sick bird.

G.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
LARGO said:
How very interesting. So this July 4 morning with my daughter & I out on my QUAD.... WOOPSY, strike that, stopped to check out a little painter she spotted ( and just plain thought was cool ), picked it up, looked it over, and set it down to take a pic, that was Illegal. Or is turtle groping O.K.
I wouldn't want to break any laws. I was still with the impression that......
ILLEGAL was a sick bird.

G.

It is a stupid law but the state considers picking up an animal as taking possession. They have also harrassed people for so much as touching animals and called it harrassing the animal. Rediculous. :jeffd:

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Theres always someone that chimes in and ruins stuff =( Had to just rub it in that its illegal. Well I didnt know and apparently many didnt either. If thats illegal then I break the law alot. Cant go to the pines without "catching" and taking a picture of a cool critter. Gonna head out tonight. Think there are rangers out there with the state shut down and all? Dont want them to catch me holding a toad...

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I guess the original intent of these laws were to protect wildlife, I don't know. Awhile ago I was stuck in traffic in Lindenwold where there shouldn't be traffic jams. When I got to the front a huge snapping turtle was in the road trying to cross and the cars wouldn,t let it. I never thought of laws, I just got out and took the turtle over to the water it was trying to reach. I guess I could have gotten a ticket? Seems silly.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
4x4Jim said:
Theres always someone that chimes in and ruins stuff =( Had to just rub it in that its illegal. Well I didnt know and apparently many didnt either. If thats illegal then I break the law alot. Cant go to the pines without "catching" and taking a picture of a cool critter. Gonna head out tonight. Think there are rangers out there with the state shut down and all? Dont want them to catch me holding a toad...

I was just trying to let you know to be careful. Personally I don't give a crap what you do. If no one had said anything to you and you got busted you probably could have said, "why didn't anyone ever mention it to me" and been all worked up over that too. And yes the rangers are part of law enforcement and they continued to work. Sorry for trying to watch your back.:bang:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
4*4jim I really don't think swiit was trying to rub anything in. I think he was trying to help you out, many people don't know the laws of new jersey. Before coming to this site I did not know I couldn't pick up a turtle, lizard, etc. Thanks to this site I know not to pick up a turtle in front of a ranger. I think it is kind of a stupid rule, however many people do not know how to pick up animals the proper way. For instance I have no idea how to properly wrangle a snake,therefore I abide by the law and leave them be. As for for furball letting you know not to collect animals, I understand were she/he is coming from. I initally thought it sounded like you caught and took the painters home. I think he/she was just giving you a heads up that collecting is illegal in case you didn't know. Some people, including myself, are completely against collection so even a slight reference to "catching" things causes people to come across in a strong anti-collecting tone. There is nothing wrong with taking pictures and thanks for the trip report. Oh yeah at what time did you see the spotted out at? What were the temps like? Take care
Chris

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
I appologize to swwit and furball. I understand now what they were trying to do. We all do it, I make trips out of searching for herps and getting pics. No worries. As for the spotted about 2:30-3:00 the water was a spring fed small finger off the river water temp was probably around 60-65 degrees. THought it was odd when I saw the crystall clear water. Anyway I plotted the entire river with my GPS along with these fingers.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
4x4Jim said:
I appologize to swwit and furball. I understand now what they were trying to do. We all do it, I make trips out of searching for herps and getting pics. No worries. As for the spotted about 2:30-3:00 the water was a spring fed small finger off the river water temp was probably around 60-65 degrees. THought it was odd when I saw the crystall clear water. Anyway I plotted the entire river with my GPS along with these fingers.

No Problem 4X4JIM. I agree that the laws/rules they have are rediculous. Just be careful and aware of whos around. I got reamed out one time for picking up a box turtle that was crossing the road on Rt. 539 and moving it to the grass on the side it was traveling to. A game warden in a pick-up truck was passing by and seen me. He said he should fine me for collecting without a permit issued by the state. I said go ahead. I'll see you in court if you do and he would have to prove me guilty so gather his evidence. He basically said it would be a waist of time or else he would write the ticket. It's just not worth being hassled for B.S. like that. Sorry if I came across the wrong way. Just be careful.:ninja:

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
THats just stupid. I would have laughed in his face. Thats like seeing a little kid in the road and stopping to see if he was ok and moving him out of harms way. And then someone stopping you for saving someones life. That guy should have been shot. :jeffd: