Oswego Lake Road

T

Toothy Critter

Went past Oswego Lake road from Rt 563 last night and noticed a sign that it was closed 6 miles in. Don't know how long the sign has been up, just noticed it. I use that road to go to Lucille/s for lunch sometime when fishing near 563. Anyone know where or why or for how long?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
To avoid confusion, we are talking about Lake Oswego Rd, which runs from 563 to, or through, Penn State Forest, and is paved up the the bridge at the lake. Not Oswego Rd, which goes west from Munion Field through Bass River State Forest. Right? (Did you spot the Lake Oswego Road road sign at 563? It's well hidden.)

I'm not really sure where the road is closed, but I think it is past the east boundary of Penn State Forest. Stevenson Road, maybe? The first time I saw it, I thought access to Penn SF was blocked, but that is only 3 miles in.

T

Toothy Critter

Yes Lake Oswego Road. From 563 to Oswego Lake. Then dirt onto Stevenson and to Beaver Dam to 539. I suspect its at the bogs which is private property smack in the middle between 563 and 539. Hope its temporary but there are no bridges to repair.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Not sure if this is where the closure is, but there is a culvert just before the bogs (if you're heading east from 563). I would guess its right around 6 miles from 563.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The bridge at Plains branch? Thats right where the road crosses the bog at Sims Place.Perhaps the bridge is out? You could alwayscross upstream at Longs Causeway but that would be a definite route extension.

T

Toothy Critter

Not sure if this is where the closure is, but there is a culvert just before the bogs (if you're heading east from 563). I would guess its right around 6 miles from 563.

That's way too far, that's by Beaver Dam Rd. Six miles from 563 would put it just east of the working bogs. Guess I'll just take a ride back there next week and see, but I suspect the owner of the bogs closed the gate he has back there

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
There's a bridge closure/repair on the road south from Dukes Bridge/Chatsworth to the area just northwest of Lake Oswego - think part was called Tuckerton Rd. It's been closed since last summer at the 1st cedar swamp going south from Dukes Bridge. In the '60's we used it to access Oswego Lake from the north, but it fell into disrepair. Funny: road closed sign at 563 yet road's open past Lake Oswego yet no sign at Dukes Bridge. Run out of signs?

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There's a bridge closure/repair on the road south from Dukes Bridge/Chatsworth to the area just northwest of Lake Oswego - think part was called Tuckerton Rd. It's been closed since last summer at the 1st cedar swamp going south from Dukes Bridge. In the '60's we used it to access Oswego Lake from the north, but it fell into disrepair. Funny: road closed sign at 563 yet road's open past Lake Oswego yet no sign at Dukes Bridge. Run out of signs?
The first swamp i believe would be Risleys Branch unless your referring to the four bridges which is the Shoal Branch of Wading.It braids here with four separate channels.

T

Toothy Critter

Yes, by Sims Place. This is the spot to which I am referring, it's 5.3 miles off 563 per googlemaps: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74222595953502&lng=-74.4524217635132&z=15&type=hybrid&gpx=

Yes sir, that is exactly around where I suspect the closure is but I thought it was the Papoose Branch there and that the Plains went through the bogs and then into the Oswego. But regardless, where you marked on the map is where a gate is. Has always been open. I fear the landowner closed it and that it will be permanent. IDK Hope its just for repairs there, Any other way thru seems like a hell of a hike

Reactions: manumuskin
T

Toothy Critter

Damn. I think it just clicked. So this is the same closure that the sign on Jones Mill, at the fork of Chatsworth/Tuckerton, and Baptist Road is referring to? Duh! Sorry, never went that far through on Ch/Tuck Rd. So it will be temporary. Thanks for the clarification.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Pretty sure the road is public to the intersection with Stevenson. If I recall correctly, the gate is just east of the Stevenson intersection.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes sir, that is exactly around where I suspect the closure is but I thought it was the Papoose Branch there and that the Plains went through the bogs and then into the Oswego. But regardless, where you marked on the map is where a gate is. Has always been open. I fear the landowner closed it and that it will be permanent. IDK Hope its just for repairs there, Any other way thru seems like a hell of a hike
Your right ,it is Papoose.I have become geographically incompetent.Plains is further east up the road.

Allan

Jan 4, 2018
Mount Holly
Just an update: We went from Atsion to Batsto to Godfrey Bridge then up to Lake Oswego Road, out to Red Road (across the bog access area) to Stevenson Rd to Beaver Dam and then to Lucille's last month. Nothing was closed and I didn't notice any signs.

Reactions: Toothy Critter