Oswego River

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
No, not the one in NY but the river rite here in the beautiful NJ Pine Barrens.
Sunday me and my GF and our friends enjoyed a canoe trip on the Oswego river. It was a beautiful day for a trip through the Pines. We started out with a short paddle across Lake Oswego then onto the River after a carry at the dam to set off on our 6 mile journey.
Our friends did great on their first canoe trip.
The river current was flowing swiftly and there was plenty of water. I'm not sure I would run this in the summer with a dry spell, I think you would be doing a lot of walking and dragging the canoe. We were really surprised and relieved at the lack of trash along the river, our trash bag was little of use on this stream.
About a half hour before the end of the trip we decided to inadvertently show our friends how to properly execute a wet exit from a canoe into sub 40* water and the reason to carry a dry bag with extra clothes.
(lame excuse)The current pinned against a tree that was across the river, and when we pushed away the canoe stayed and we went over into the drink. It was hilarious, but a potentially dangerous situation. We were lucky to get out of the frigid water quickly and change into dry clothes avoiding hypothermia or worse.
I wish I had a few photos to share from our trip but my camera is somewhere floating along the river toward Harrisville Pond. I had it strapped to my PFD with the Velcro loop of the case and it popped off sometime when I was wrestling the canoe full of water up the steep bank of the river.
With the frigid swim and all it was still a wonderful day and lesson learned, while exploring one of the finest rivers of the Pinelands:dance:..........Mike

Note to self: Buy the extra insurance on the camera at and secure it better. Best Buy would have replaced it if I had something to bring them, and I could have recovered the pics from the memory card.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No, not the one in NY but the river rite here in the beautiful NJ Pine Barrens.
Sunday me and my GF and our friends enjoyed a canoe trip on the Oswego river. It was a beautiful day for a trip through the Pines. We started out with a short paddle across Lake Oswego then onto the River after a carry at the dam to set off on our 6 mile journey.
Our friends did great on their first canoe trip.
The river current was flowing swiftly and there was plenty of water. I'm not sure I would run this in the summer with a dry spell, I think you would be doing a lot of walking and dragging the canoe. We were really surprised and relieved at the lack of trash along the river, our trash bag was little of use on this stream.
About a half hour before the end of the trip we decided to inadvertently show our friends how to properly execute a wet exit from a canoe into sub 40* water and the reason to carry a dry bag with extra clothes.
(lame excuse)The current pinned against a tree that was across the river, and when we pushed away the canoe stayed and we went over into the drink. It was hilarious, but a potentially dangerous situation. We were lucky to get out of the frigid water quickly and change into dry clothes avoiding hypothermia or worse.
I wish I had a few photos to share from our trip but my camera is somewhere floating along the river toward Harrisville Pond. I had it strapped to my PFD with the Velcro loop of the case and it popped off sometime when I was wrestling the canoe full of water up the steep bank of the river.
With the frigid swim and all it was still a wonderful day and lesson learned, while exploring one of the finest rivers of the Pinelands:dance:..........Mike

Note to self: Buy the extra insurance on the camera at and secure it better. Best Buy would have replaced it if I had something to bring them, and I could have recovered the pics from the memory card.

Sorry to hear about the camera. What kind was it?

The Oswego is the pearl of the Pines. Oswego Lake is the jewel. I love them both. I'd love to own Sim Place.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds like a great time. One you never will forget.

Guy

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills

QUOTE]
It WAS a Cannon Power Shot A560 7.1 megapixel. With the memory card, case, and 3 sets of rechargeable batteries I think I spent around $260. for it. It wasn't a year old.:cry:
On the brighter side if I would have spent more money for a water proof camera I would have lost lost it too, the way I had it secured. I used to loop the case strap around my PFD but recently started using the Velcro loop so the case didn't dangle. The old way I carried it I would still have it even though it would have been wrecked.
Back to invest more money in Best Buy. LOL........Mike

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wonderful report and a journey I need to invest more time in.
I love for cold water but yes, when you are not prepared, whether in equipment or mentally it can be dangerous. (to be prepared, or at least excited about it mentally you pretty much have to be an idiot, I know at least one)
I have been reading the occasional post on the cold water canoeing and I have not had a chance to get out, curse you all. Really sorry to hear about the camera, that sucks huge! I try to keep my sensitive stuff in a watertight capsule with a lead on it I can easily recover.
I will say this, forget all rules and have carefully protected matches or lighter handy! Start a damned fire wherever you are and dry out/warm up fast! Thank you for your tale. It entertained and informed.

g.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I will say this, forget all rules and have carefully protected matches or lighter handy! Start a damned fire wherever you are and dry out/warm up fast! Thank you for your tale. It entertained and informed.

g.
Without a doubt we were totally prepared to start a fire. If the need arises that is. I'm sure the authorities would understand if we had to start a fire to survive.

I had always carried my camera in a water proof box tied to the thwart in front of me, but never really needed it, even in the rapids of the Delaware River. I got tired of missing photo op's because slow camera draw so I liked to keep close at hand. I purchased this camera because I didn't want to risk my expensive Sony, which was double the price of the one I lost. The thing is the cheaper camera took just as nice pics. LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my story and I hope to help others out there understand the dangers of the cold water. ALWAYS carry dry clothes, you never know when you might need them..........Mike

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

QUOTE]
It WAS a Cannon Power Shot A560 7.1 megapixel. With the memory card, case, and 3 sets of rechargeable batteries I think I spent around $260. for it. It wasn't a year old.:cry:
On the brighter side if I would have spent more money for a water proof camera I would have lost lost it too, the way I had it secured. I used to loop the case strap around my PFD but recently started using the Velcro loop so the case didn't dangle. The old way I carried it I would still have it even though it would have been wrecked.
Back to invest more money in Best Buy. LOL........Mike

Ouch! I have the A630, so I feel your pain (a little).

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Mike,

I had a similar misfortune several years back. It was mid-January and I got my kayak wedged against a fallen tree. I thought I could fight the current, but that simply cannot be done; I went right in. If possible, you have to get out of your boat and stand on the tree and then pull your boat either over or around it. Dry bags are a must in the winter!