Out And About

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Went to various places today. This location was pretty flooded and where I usually could walk I flooded my boots.

DSC_2093a.jpg

DSC_2090a.jpg

Went looking for a snake we found a few weeks ago and found this one.

DSC_2108a.jpg

DSC_2104a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the compliment Jon. I have played around with the settings forever and have narrowed them down to what I am using.

BTW, I am having an issue with the magnifying. When taking a photo I have been magnifying the photo to see it more clearly so I can manually focus. However, it keep placing the center to the far left and each time I take a photo I have to recenter it. I have not been able to correct that. Must be a simple problem to fix but I have not how to solve that yet.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will just add todays outing to this post.

We parked along a road blocked by puddles and walked about a 1/4 mile to get where we wanted to go.

DSC_2171a.jpg

We were rewarded with these Rose Pogonia.

DSC_2158a.jpg

And others.

DSC_2164a.jpg

We then traveled a while and visited the boardwalk to check out the water level. We saw a few Rose Pogonia growing so the removed beavers have helped some. The water level was much lower years ago so more work of some kind needs to be done at the pipe area.

DSC_2175a.jpg

The tadpoles are becoming frogs.

IMG_1284a.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Really interesting area. I am inspired to check out certain savannahs, in which I have not gotten the right shot yet.

My D850 has a touch focusing featuring on the live view back screen. I am not sure if your camera has that feature, but it works very well in full daylight. The live view back screen has the option to touch to trigger the shutter, or touch to focus, which circumvents the need to magnify and focus. When looking in live view, at the back screen, touch the screen to see if it gives you that option.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Really interesting area. I am inspired to check out certain savannahs, in which I have not gotten the right shot yet.

My D850 has a touch focusing featuring on the live view back screen. I am not sure if your camera has that feature, but it works very well in full daylight. The live view back screen has the option to touch to trigger the shutter, or touch to focus, which circumvents the need to magnify and focus. When looking in live view, at the back screen, touch the screen to see if it gives you that option.

Yes it does have that option and I use it most of the time. But if I want to manually focus and I click the magnify, the small little square box in the bottom right that shows up has the view all the way to the center left. I have to toggle right and sometimes up or down to center it each time I take a photo.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I did a quick check of the manual, couldn't find the specific reference. If you want to focus on the snakes eye for instance, touch the snakes eye on the screen in the regular, unmagnified live view, then zoom in so the square expands each time until you are at max magnification. You should be looking at the snakes eye magnfied. Not sure if that is what you mean. But I typically touch the screen first, where I want to zoom into, and when magnified it just expands to the spot i want to go. I think!

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did a quick check of the manual, couldn't find the specific reference. If you want to focus on the snakes eye for instance, touch the snakes eye on the screen in the regular, unmagnified live view, then zoom in so the square expands each time until you are at max magnification. You should be looking at the snakes eye magnfied. Not sure if that is what you mean. But I typically touch the screen first, where I want to zoom into, and when magnified it just expands to the spot i want to go. I think!

I will look at that tonight.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jon,

It appears to work but I need to use two hands. I touch the screen when not zoomed in, and then zoom, it goes right to the location I was touching.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will just add to this thread and not make a new one.

We explored in Wharton today and enjoyed our walk even though we did not find much. Tomorrow we have another place to try.

DSC_2284b.jpg

I almost stepped on this. Even when we left it still was in the same position. It never moved.

DSC_2288b.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, today went even better. This female is as big as Jessica.

DSC_2314a.jpg

DSC_2317a.jpg

We were there 15 minutes and she never moved.

DSC_2316a.jpg

We believe we found where she is staying. (Edit: I have been told that it may be a pine snake skin and not from the rattler)

DSC_2332a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like that old girl rattler may have mouth fungus if I see it right on the photo.
It does look odd.

Also, I have been told that it may be a pine snake skin in my photo.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's amazing how you find all these snakes.
Sometimes I get tips, but many times we just stumble on them while walking or I look for habitat locations on aerials and go there. We are doing much more of that in the summer lately. Actually, we spend quite a bit of time looking for them without finding anything. We are not flippers for the most part so we don't turn over logs and such except for an occasional board.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes that does look like mouth rot,have seen it many times.
Used to flip a lot myself but have gotten a face full of wasps too many times and now I"m too old and fat to out run em.Did find a nice black rat the other day hanging out of a tree hole six feet off the ground.