Out Bogging

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
With the heat of today, I explored a bog that has easy access from a well know road in Wharton. There are two small bogs with some separation between the two. The second one has a more defined stream along its edge with signs of cranberries. Lophiola aurea (Gold-crest) was the predominant flower.

IMG_3304.JPG

'Structure in the Woods' Does anyone have any clue of what its purpose?

IMG_3308.JPG

It's a tire for midget racers back in the 50's. (M & H Tire Co., Watertown, Mass 4.50-12 Racemaster)

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

Drosera intermedia (Spatulate-leaved Sundew

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

Nymphaea odorata (Fragrant Water-Lily)

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

'Can you see him'

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A few guesses.

With the open area it may be a campsite and they sleep off the ground. Or maybe something a hunter would use.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Here's another view of the structure. It has a metal frame. I felt it was a known structure built by a group of hunters. Maybe to place deer on it.
IMG_3305.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have never seen hunters lay deer on anything like this? Usually they gut the deer where it lays on the ground so as to save weight transporting it to a waiting vehicle.Then when they get it home they usually yank it off the ground by the neck or upside down with legs spread according to preference and finish skinning and butchering it that way. Not saying this isn't for deer but have never seen a deer skinned and butchered lying on a table.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Al, I totally agree what you said. It was built as a solid structure to hold a lot of weight. It appears it was built by hunters, but I'm not sure it was to be used to sleep on. There is no other debris in the area. It's located not much more than 100-125 yards from a hardtop road.

Reactions: manumuskin

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Any nearby stream crossings ?
Looks like a very sturdy ATV crossing or substantial footbridge, judging from the way the timbers are laid and the size of the timbers. Looks like overkill for a tent platform.

It doesn't make sense though that you would build it and then have to carry it and drop it into place. Nor does it make sense to have such skinny steel legs for support. However, the legs would make stable anchors though once they were sunk.

Maybe they were making a mock-up of a bridge but then lost interest. Or maybe they were scared off by gun-wielding, drunken Pineys.
:jd:

Last edited:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Redneck; that's a good suggestion. A bridge. The structure is near the Batsto River just down stream from where it goes under Carranza Road. The steel structure may be placed right in the water. The river is not wide there.