Outdoor Coal/Wood Stove

I have an old Armstrong pot belly coal/wood stove, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience setting one up outside on a patio or porch. My concern is how well the iron will hold up, and I am curious if anyone knows of any paint or enamel that might make it hold up a bit better/longer.

Appreciate any info you all might have!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have an old Armstrong pot belly coal/wood stove, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience setting one up outside on a patio or porch. My concern is how well the iron will hold up, and I am curious if anyone knows of any paint or enamel that might make it hold up a bit better/longer.

Actually, they make an iron stove paint. I think its called "Stove Black". I've used it. But then again, my stove is not outside.

http://www.stovepaint.com/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you're talking about the stuff I think, it rubs off if you brush against it. I don't think it's intended for outdoor use where it will be rained on. I have a woodstove that had a nice coat on it when new, and spilled a bit of water on the top. Within days, it had a rusty spot. Not really a problem, but my point is just that the stove black didn't provide any protection and it was only a spill and not a rainstorm. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My concern is how well the iron will hold up, and I am curious if anyone knows of any paint or enamel that might make it hold up a bit better/longer.

I don't know of anything that is designed to do what you need and still withstand the high temps of using the stove. Have you contacted a woodstove shop? Might try to find a railroad enthusiast and ask what they used on the old steam locomotives or contact Steamtown NHS in Scranton PA.

130060074.jpg

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
From what I understand the internal temp of a wood stove reaches anywhere from 400-900 F, there are Automotive Engine Paints available up to 600* F. Chances are for a durable finish you will not be using paint but a coating. This company has coatings good up to almost 2500*F. This is beyond the melting point of Cast Iron. I'm sure this would be costly but it will last throughout your family though unless you get mad at it and start hitting it with an axe or hammer or something.
http://www.jet-hot.com/coatingschart.html

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hmm, thats a good idea. I didn't think of the locomotive or engine paint connection. I shall investigate both further! =)

I'm not opposed to recoating the stove from time to time, I just don't want to completely destroy it by subjecting it to the weather.

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted!

If your going to cook on it just be careful that whatever you select is safe and does not give off anything that would taint the food.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
If you're talking about the stuff I think, it rubs off if you brush against it. I don't think it's intended for outdoor use where it will be rained on. I have a woodstove that had a nice coat on it when new, and spilled a bit of water on the top. Within days, it had a rusty spot. Not really a problem, but my point is just that the stove black didn't provide any protection and it was only a spill and not a rainstorm. :)

The stuff I used dried to a hard finish. I guess it was properly called stove paint, not stove black.