Overnight River Trips in the Pines?

scouter

Dec 28, 2009

Hey guys,

I'm new-ish here, I guess you could say, but I have been poking my head in from time to time, and I've finally come to a question I thought you might be able to aid in answer.

I'm looking for a good river in the pines to take a two, maybe three, day overnight canoe trip.
If you've gone know of any, I'd be gracious to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am assuming you want to go the legal route here.Back in the day i would canoe and throw up camp anywhere I chose as long as i was sequestered from prying eyes but but of course being much older and wiser now I would never do that:)
Anyway going the legal route you will have to canoe one of four rivers in Wharton State Forest.You can canoe the Mullica either from jackson road (little low for that now) or from 206 (more like it) and camp at Mullica river camp about half way between 206 and the pleasant mills take out at 542 or you could canoe all the way to the forks if you know where that is.You could also camp at Goshen pond which is north of 206 and above Atsion lake and start from there.There should be enough water from Goshen Pond down.
If you do the Batsto You can start either at Hampton furnace or slightly higher on either the skit or upper batsto.the upper batsto is young maple swamp in old bogs while the skit is cedar lined beaver ponds and the skit has been done from carranza road,I did it many moons ago but may be low going now.Your camp would be at Lower forge.outhouse but no water pump.I think Mullica camp and goshen pond do have water but not sure about that..If you do the Oswego You will have to camp at the end of your trip at Bodines field and if you do the wading you can either camp at hawkins or godfreys bridge campsited or at Bodines field.If you start at speedwell,Onc again a bit low for that now. then your half way point would be between godfreys and hawkins bridge if you were taking out at bodines fields or beaver branch.You are legally allowed to put in or take out at the campgrounds if you are camping at therm.beaver branch is a public access for everyone.You can canoe further down and take out at charcoal landing if you know where it's at.below that on the wading it is tidal and increasingly brackish.
Once again these are your only legal alternatives in south jersey for canoe camping that i am aware of.There are many clandestine opportunities on these streams and others but there are no amenities if you do this and you must go in stealth mode,on the other hand you will not be bothered by screaming children,loud radios or firecrackers or worse.If you need maps I'd be glad to post em for you.The Mullica has some awesome beaver ponds and nice cedar swamps and bogs along it.The batsto is more cedar and ledd banks though some nice ones.The mullica has many steep sandy banks.The Oswego is cedar all the way and a fast little stream when the water is up with gravel bars and a sandy bottom where it's deeper.Not a lot of banks but martha Pond and old ore pond is absolutely stunning.This is a short trip from oswego lake to harrisville pond or below and you can paddle up from oswego lake but have to return the way you came.The wading in my opinion is the most beautiful of all but it is also the most heavily travelled.Don't go here on a summer weekend,you'll regret it.This river has it all.Cedar,maple swamps,bogs,medders,banks and bayous.when the water is up you can do a tewlve hour trip from speedweel to tidewater but much shorter trips are available.
Robert Parnes "Canoeing the New Jersey Pine Barrens is and excellent resource and so is Gertler's "Garden state canoeing"
We have a few very knowledgable paddlers on here so I'm sure more help and info will be forthcoming.If you pick a stream let us know and we can give you the low down on it.Once again crik levels appear to be down right now.
Al

scouter

Dec 28, 2009
Sorry about my lapse in posting.

I just got around to looking into this again.

It occurred to me yesterday that one could stay overnight at Buttonwood Campground off of the Mullica river as a overnight stop. I heard a good place to start for that might be Quaker Bridge and go down in the direction towards the dam, which would have to be portaged, but other than that it would be smooth sailing.

Has anyone done anything like that before?

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Sorry about my lapse in posting.

I just got around to looking into this again.

It occurred to me yesterday that one could stay overnight at Buttonwood Campground off of the Mullica river as a overnight stop. I heard a good place to start for that might be Quaker Bridge and go down in the direction towards the dam, which would have to be portaged, but other than that it would be smooth sailing.

Has anyone done anything like that before?
ive kayaked that section and have camped at buttonwood, but not in the same trip. if i did it, i would start at atsion. if you want somebody to kayak with PM me. day 2 we could kayak to tuckerton. i know a dock we can pull in to at hi tide LOL

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Some campgrounds mentioned in the above posts are closed for maintenance. Be sure to check in with Batsto to see which are open, you'll need the permits anyway. I wouldn't want you to make plans and then have to start over.

scouter

Dec 28, 2009
Does anyone know of a good place (online preferably) to check the tides for the Mullica River?

scouter

Dec 28, 2009
So I finally ended up taking a trip down the Mullica just for the day on Saturday from Atsion to Pleasant Mills.

The water was probably a little too high (about 3.5ft), since the majority of the first 5 and half miles consisted of beating through the trees, but after the river widened, as long as you could find the current where it wasn't flooding the banks (which was everywhere), it was pretty smooth, quick sailing.

I'll have to try it again when it isn't flooded and maybe even camp at the Mullica river campsite. It seemed nice enough upon passing.