Overnighter

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Sorry. I was not insinuating that stealth camping caused the fire. low-impact campers are probably the most considerate of all. but when there is a fire their first concern is PEOPLE and to get campers out of the woods. they need to know where they are. i wish we could camp anywhere, even if it just meant give a rough coordinate you would be at. it only takes a few to ruin thing for the rest. my hat goes off the our NJ Rangers, they have a hard, hard job (and short handed). i just follow the rules to make it easier on them.

it would be nice to have some spots we could camp on the Batona trail for people hiking end-end:rolleyes:

Hike Safe
Hey Karl,

What about hunters? What if there is a fire during shotgun deer season? How will Mommy rescue all of them? If you go into a forest or anywhere else in the world for that matter you assume a certain risk. On your thru hike will you always be able to let someone know where you are every minute? What if you are on a Wharton day hike and you decide to take a detour? Life is a dangerous place.
I agree that remote camping is not for most folks. You have to know how to take care of yourself. As to rangers I am sure some of them are great folks, I mean they can't all be like the ones I have dealt with, because if they are and I find myself in a jam, they are they last people I would want to depend on. It would really rather just take care of myself and enjoy the pines the way we were meant to.
Bluemoonmuskrat also has a good point about the saftey aspect. Any AT thru hiker will tell that the shelters which are closest to the road are the most dangerous.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Hey Karl,

What about hunters? What if there is a fire during shotgun deer season? How will Mommy rescue all of them? If you go into a forest or anywhere else in the world for that matter you assume a certain risk. On your thru hike will you always be able to let someone know where you are every minute? What if you are on a Wharton day hike and you decide to take a detour? Life is a dangerous place.
I agree that remote camping is not for most folks. You have to know how to take care of yourself. As to rangers I am sure some of them are great folks, I mean they can't all be like the ones I have dealt with, because if they are and I find myself in a jam, they are they last people I would want to depend on. It would really rather just take care of myself and enjoy the pines the way we were meant to.
Bluemoonmuskrat also has a good point about the saftey aspect. Any AT thru hiker will tell that the shelters which are closest to the road are the most dangerous.
you make alot of good points. on a past post u said, if you got a ticket you would pay it. sounds fair i thought, i wondered what it would cost so looked it up. http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_12-03/pt2_d.pdf $71 for camping and $71 for a fire, BUT check out the list:confused: its ridicules. you may of changed my thinking on all this.

7:2-2.11(m) Loitering $71 How do you Loiter in the woods?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
you make alot of good points. on a past post u said, if you got a ticket you would pay it. sounds fair i thought, i wondered what it would cost so looked it up. http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_12-03/pt2_d.pdf $71 for camping and $71 for a fire, BUT check out the list:confused: its ridicules. you may of changed my thinking on all this.

7:2-2.11(m) Loitering $71 How do you Loiter in the woods?

In NJ you are ALWAYS in violation of the law. If they need or want to hassle you or arrest you they will.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Actually with so many rules. We are all criminals just waiting to be caught!

I know I have been approached by law enforcement on a few occasions on my plains property. Once shown the deed they left me alone now for several months.

Although I was contacted by some state folks that wanted me to donate it to the state.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pretty bad when you have to carry the deed with you. Why did they even bother you?

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
They kept getting calls that I was out in the east plains off of 539 I guess someone thought I had atv's or such. Thee usd to be someone who would walk with his dog 2 x per day. So i think it was him.

They did not drive in due to large puddles so they would walk in.

I happened to have the original deed with me the first time since I had just filed the paperwork. Since that worked to answer why I was there I made copies along with tax map and Wildlife Management Map that shows property being an exception to the WMA.

It was Little Egg Harbor Twnsp police. They were easy to work with and with deed handy they went on their way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

It was Little Egg Harbor Twnsp police. They were easy to work with and with deed handy they went on their way.

They must be really patrolling there. I was driving down 539 right in that area and received a call from bobpbx so I pulled to the side of the road to talk. Next thing I know one was alongside me asking if everything was alright. He saw the phone and took off.

Guy