Ownership and blockage of Andrews Road

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Folks,

Some of my bping friends and I have been planning a trip starting at Bodine Field, following Martha and old Martha Rd up through Andrews Rd. to Allen Rd, crossing a swamp off of Lake Oswego and into Penn State Forest. Problem is Andrews rd. is gated at a certain point. Anybody familiar with ownership? My first guess would be some cranberry people, but who knows, guess it could also be private citizen or govt. I'd like to talk to them and see if I could get permission for some foot traffic through.
OR, how can I hit Allen RD. in that area, if that is not illegal, and bypass the blocked juncture. Allen is what I really need from the Martha direction. As a side note, anybody interested in this longish hike and swamp hop drop a pm and I'll send you some details.
Thanks for any help

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Piney Boy,

The PBX policy is "don't ask, don't tell" and do it anyway. You and your friends are good people; you are not going to destroy anything, and you'll leave the woods just as they are. If you ask the guy for permission, he'll ask you for certification of insurance to cover his butt, if he allows it at all. If you do it anyway without his knowledge, he can deny fault unless he put a man-trap out for you. Why don't you take an excursion to to the side of the creek about 1/2 mile from the gate. That way you will technically have not gone through it.

PS: you'll notice that we post our hikes after they take place. There is a specific reason for that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The reason for the blockage is the bombing range. They want to keep people as far away as they can from it. But much of that is state property so you own it. When you get to the area they don't really want you on they have it gated with deadly force signs.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The reason for the blockage is the bombing range. They want to keep people as far away as they can from it. But much of that is state property so you own it. When you get to the area they don't really want you on they have it gated with deadly force signs.
Guy

I would not advise going into the bombing range. I thought for sure he was talking about the gate on the road by the Oswego Dam. Here is the border for Warren Grove bombing range:

RANGEBORDER2.JPG

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Piney Boy,

The PBX policy is "don't ask, don't tell" and do it anyway. You and your friends are good people; you are not going to destroy anything, and you'll leave the woods just as they are. If you ask the guy for permission, he'll ask you for certification of insurance to cover his butt, if he allows it at all. If you do it anyway without his knowledge, he can deny fault unless he put a man-trap out for you. Why don't you take an excursion to to the side of the creek about 1/2 mile from the gate. That way you will technically have not gone through it.

PS: you'll notice that we post our hikes after they take place. There is a specific reason for that.

Excellent advise Bob, thanks. With my line of work Im usually skiddish about trespassing, but the detour may work out to be just fine Thanks again for the thought.:D

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Thanks all, your words have soothed me over, and for that I thank you. This really is a nice looking hike, coming up Martha with some Penn swamp hopping thrown in. This has made me a little more confident not to change my plans, just make a wee alteration to them. Danke