Panther sighting ?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It can be hard to tell from the photos, but that one against the woods does make it look very large, and that is a very long tail. I am surprised, as Steve mentioned, that they didn't find tracks if it was a mountain lion. At the same time, I find it hard to imagine that a number of people could all mistake a house cat for a panther. I mean, there is a huge difference.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In speaking with one of my coworkers from a Vineland office that lives in Vineland, his indication is that most of his immediate neighbors and himself, are not convinced. There was very recently a rumor locally here of a similar nature that turned out to be a camera angle/distance issue. Tough call.

I know the nature of the beast would be to remain concealed but two things.
How is it possible that this many days have passed and it just doesn't keep popping up out of shear law of averages? Also, if it was a "pet" kept illegally that got loose, wouldn't it's time spent in close proximity to humans over a given time make it a little less apprehensive and more prone to show itself?

g.

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Very difficult to assess the size of the cat. I don't think there is a species called a black panther, it's a generic term for any large black cat I think. It's tough to discern any anatomical features that would give a difinitive ID. Black leopard.

Attachments

• lepblack.jpg
    lepblack.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 244

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Black panther's are normally what black leopard are referred to as. The feature that made me think it was a leopard was its very narrow long face. Domesticated cats tend to be a little more pushed in, but its tough to tell.

Oct 25, 2006
I think "worlds fattest cat" would be a more accurate title. It's terrible that people allow their pets to get like that.

My wife's girlfriend who lives down the street from us,has a black cat that weighs 32 lbs.,imagine my impession the first time i saw that tom.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In my youth I had a 28 pound Tabby and he was not fat, just massive.
As in shoulder height and even build. A real brute. Named... "BUGGY"
Not super friendly so very intimidating. I suppose at the right angle he could have been mistaken for one of the "big" cats.

G.