Passing Of A Piney Legend

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Donnie Russell died this week. Part of the Russell family who have owned the Pic-A-Lilli Inn and the creator of their legendary wing sauce. I remember him as a genuinely nice guy when he used to work the Shamong location. He and his brothers ran the turkey shoot that used to take place where the outdoor bar and seating area is now. I shot that several times over the years.

His brother Bruce also passed this year in February. Bruce operated the Pic II in in the Ancora section of Winslow.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My family and I have enjoyed his recipe and "The Pic" wings over many holiday's and birthday parties for over 30 years. Sorry to see he is gone at 67.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My family and I have enjoyed his recipe and "The Pic" wings over many holiday's and birthday parties for over 30 years. Sorry to see he is gone at 67.

I don't know about you Jon but it sure makes me think about being almost the same age as him and what the future may hold.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I don't know about you Jon but it sure makes me think about being almost the same age as him and what the future may hold.
Donnie Russell and I were born five weeks and probably 30 miles apart Guy. As Keith Richards said "Growing old is better than the alternative."

Reactions: Teegate

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was in there a while ago and barely recognized him. I didn’t even recognize him. Our families have been intertwined for years. His Brother Bruce beat cancer a few years ago but lost it to Covid.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Donnie Russell died this week. Part of the Russell family who have owned the Pic-A-Lilli Inn and the creator of their legendary wing sauce. I remember him as a genuinely nice guy when he used to work the Shamong location. He and his brothers ran the turkey shoot that used to take place where the outdoor bar and seating area is now. I shot that several times over the years.

His brother Bruce also passed this year in February. Bruce operated the Pic II in in the Ancora section of Winslow.

Sad news, RIP