PBC Event: Chaffseed

Allen Crawford

Dec 13, 2009
Hello, everyone. I'm a new member here, but I just wanted to drop a line about an event being held by the Philadelphia Botanical Club this Thursday. (Apologies if this was already posted, but I didn't see an announcement anywhere.)

17 December, 7:30 PM
Speaker: Jay Kelley

The evening will offer some pretty exciting news about a significant Pine Barrens species: American Chaffseed (Schwalbea americana), which is extremely rare in the Pine Barrens and has been in decline for some time. After years of failed attempts to restore its numbers through cultivation, Jay Kelly has found out how to propagate this plant and possibly restore its populations, perhaps even establish it in areas where it was known to have once thrived.

Bird Room at the Academy of Natural Sciences, 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway (enter through the 19th Street entrance)

The annual Holiday Party follows the meeting.

Become a member of the PBC here:
http://www.ansp.org/hosted/botany_club/membership.html

Hope this interests! See you there.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Allen, Welcome to the site. Sounds like there's going to be a party in the bird room! I'll ask about the meeting next time we meet. My screenname is oji. Catch you later, Tom

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is very good news Allen. You don't have to reveal any locations of course, but if he reveals that he did establish it elsewhere, I'd like to know the number of locations.