Peconic Bog Preserve..so close but so far!

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
There's an interesting "little" preserve in Riverhead, along the southern banks of the Peconic River. It is a little known county land off state route 24, with route 25 on the north side. It is only a few minutes drive away from the insanity at Tanger Outlets and route 58. Definately a good place to get away from those crazy Xmas crowds or that hokey music. Something to do while the wife shops away in the stores (I dont have a woman, though but for those who do...).
Anyway, near the park are some spectacular views of the Peconic River.
normal_peconicbog2.jpg

Anyway there's a trail that runs through the woods there, it's pretty quiet and desolate. The woods are dense, and offer some limited views of the river in the distance.
normal_peconicbog6.jpg

normal_peconicbog4.jpg

A better view of the river...
normal_peconicbog5.jpg

A bog lies beyond those pines.
normal_peconicbog7.jpg

The very wide "power cut" is the only other path through the park. Deer often graze here, and the pines take advantage of the opening, and many seedlings grow in.
This power cut is wide because the lines that pass through here are the main "feeders" for power for the Hamptons and the rest of the twin forks. A big reason why the trees are kept at distance, some in the event of a fire, hopefully there wont be an east end blackout. I wouldn't count on it though.
normal_peconicbog9.jpg

normal_peconicbog11.jpg

Fires have occurred here in the past, on the western end of the park, on the north side of the ROW, is an old burn area, low oak scrub grows among the pines.
normal_peconicbog15.jpg

normal_peconicbog16.jpg

The edge of the dense woodland, hard to believe Tanger Outlet and all those crowds are about 1 mile NW of here!
normal_peconicbog13.jpg

normal_peconicbog12.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, is a huge spider that jumped out in front of me.
normal_peconicbogspider.jpg