Pemberton Historic Trust must remove trains

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
— The trains must go.
Superior Court Judge Karen Suter ruled Friday that the nonprofit Pemberton Township Historic Trust must find a new home for the dozen locomotives and rail cars outside the North Pemberton Historic Railroad Station off Fort Dix Road, the latest development in what has become a protracted fight over the future of the rolling rail stock.
The judge’s decision denied the trust’s request for a stay of the case and ordered the organization’s entire stock be removed within 60 days, Business Administrator Dennis Gonzalez said.
The ruling was unquestionably a victory for Mayor David Patriarca, who has fought for more than a year to have the cars removed from the township-owned station property. He has described the rail cars as eyesores and a liability to the town.
But it’s still unclear whether the ruling will bring about an end to the protracted legal battle between the municipality and trust.
Trust president Adrienne Leonard said the nonprofit group was incapable of moving the trains within the assigned deadline and would almost certainly appeal the ruling to a higher court.
“We don’t want to get rid of the trains. They belong there,” Leonard said Monday. “We’d be getting rid of one of the finest collections in New Jersey.”
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_61c041ba-5a93-533e-8f0b-c7de4d9d877c.html

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Mayor Patriarca has suggested many times that he wants to develop the north end of the town. From what I read, it is the only area that is not under the authority of the Pinelands Commission and its regulations. Is there a town center in the making? The station may be in the way.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
When I visited the RR station/museum back in '10, the caretaker (strongly) suggested that I check out the rail cars, after I examined the museum inventory. Perhaps, even back then, he had a fear that this could happen.

John-

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
We don't need anymore town centers or NEW construction in the state. This place has been on my NJ bucket list. I better get out there while I can.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
This is sad to read. I am always saddened when history is removed in the name of progress. Was really hoping someone had gotten a few picks of that rolling stock. Remember skipping school back in the to pleasure ride around Upper Freehold Township and was blown away that a rail line existed in that rural area of the state. The Union Transportation Line has always been a fascination of mine ever since.

Michael