Penn State Forest Hike

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy I would have thought it was way before that. Was it open up until that date? I have never seen it open. Only heard about it.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to let everyone know about this.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you post photos on this site you should try and cut the size back on them. You can do this in any photo program. Take notice that the size of the Elizabeth Morgan photo is 154K. Notice the one below it is 2.8MB. It is 18 times larger for one photo. So you could upload 18 Elizabeth Morgan photos and equal in size the one below it.

So I have taken that same photo and sized it to 1000 x 1000 pixels. Notice the size is now just 249K. This makes it easier to load and view and still be the same viewing size and very good quality.

I use Faststone Photo Resizer. It's free (download.com), the settings are pretty simple on resizing, it gives you an option to watermark, and it will resize your photos en-masse instead of one at a time, which saves a TON of time. Lots of similar programs out there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy I would have thought it was way before that. Was it open up until that date? I have never seen it open. Only heard about it.

I do not know if the state or Haines had closed it in the few years before that and gave it to him later on the date I mentioned. it was open in the 70s and early 80s for sure as I drove it all the time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The program "Paint" that comes with Windows works if anyone does not want to spend money or download programs. If you have a Mac you can use "Preview."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As for resizing, I never have to. I use the Microsoft snipping tool. Snip the original photo and save it as a *.png file. You can post that just like a photo, and it is usually less than 900 x 900 pixels. Any quality loss is not noticed at all. And, using snip, you can write or circle or highlight things easily, before you save it.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Went back this week to get better photos without sun glare.
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Hey Guy,
Just wondering... Is that from Spring Hill? Looks like it might be from the south side of Bear Swamp

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Glen what made the metal stand scary? Most stands are just generic unless it was homemade. Was it the height of where it was?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe it is the same view except for the fact I was using a 440MM zoom lens. There always is chance I am wrong as it was almost 40 years ago.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Well it was a little flimsy. wish I had taken a pic. I am about 220 lbs. it had a hinged arm half way up so as you ascended enough to reach it you could swing it horizontally to act as a brace as the middle of the ladder started to buckle. Scary. lol

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Yes Guy,
We all have a little trouble remembering that far back... guess it probably is same side. There aren't much in the line of hills on the south side of the hill. It is probably just a different angle plus the zoom as you mentioned. Love the comparisons though. Old pics are great. Its like there was a certain lore to things back then. A sacred thing that seems to disappear more and more with time and technology. Thanks for sharing