Penn State Forest to Lower Forge

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
This was a loooong full two day excursion (Nov. 4-5) covering about thirty five miles south bound from Penn State Forest to the Batona then on to Lower Forge wilderness campsite. The weather was just beautuful with temps in the 60's in the day and high 40's at night. Forgive my boys there monikers, we are hikers, and we know little else.
Green Monkee arrived 10 minutes after me with the Smashing Pumpkins blaring a good morning, an excellent start by the way. Soon after Big_load arrived and we were off for our first stop; Lake Oswego. We set up a relay car at Carranza Memorial, so we planned on doing about 6 or 7 miles out on Sunday. With a flash we headed down 532 and cut around to Lake Oswego. The plan had been to take a light, short, circuit walk up to the Plains, then grab our packs and head southbound. We did a really great job through swamps and firelines while only get off course once, and not really that far off.
First off the guys, me included, loved our jaunt along the resevoir. Berries still fresh accompanied by Fall colors was just a real treat, both asthetic and edible. As we bopped along through cranberry/blueberry bogs, we saw an eagle perched on a lonely tree. He headed out soon after we caught a look at him, but we followed him through the sky. The fella’s stopped and grabbed some blueberries to snack on. Always a nice treat.
Well this is about when we decided to bushwhack it, unintentionally, but through the backwoods we went. After cutting across some reservoir lines we saw a plank leading into what looked like a short swamp. So we followed. At first clear and spongy, GreenMonkee said it was “like walking on a bed.” Soon after the clearing narrowed and it turned into a Grade A swamp. Lots of twisted trees and moss and sponge. Big_Load called it a Pine Lands interp. of an Aztec ruin. It does have a wild exotic quality. We walked up a log bridge of sorts deep in the swamp; I think G.M has a picture of it. At last we cleared the Swamp and came out on a tributary of the Oswego River. Some times, people look at something like this and look for a way out, not these guys, they hooted out approval at this river crossing. We crossed half way on a tree bridge and then through the water. The water came up passed my shins and soaked my feet. Didn’t seem so bad at the time, but later the water led to some WICKED blistered feet. It was well worth it though, it was quite a blast.
We came out of the swamp and followed a relatively new fire line back to the reservoir. As we retraced our steps back we ended going through a sea of ladybugs, flying and landing all over us. It turned out to be quite a unique experience. We tracked back down a fireline til we hit the Batona Trail. Penn State Forest is such a beautiful area, it really deserves more care than it gets from the state.
From there we blasted out the miles in Wharton, and soon I was counting time until we made it to Lower Forge. Soon the sun sank low and we night hikin' it, headlights illuminating the way. With my feet bothering me I was way in the rear, and as I walked along in solitude and silence I heard a really loud KERPLUNK in the water, I wonder what it was? I didn't stop though, because if I did that would have been my spot for the night. By the time we got to the wilderness campsite it was about 730, but in no time we had a fire going and camp all set up. We heard a coyote howling for a few hours, off and on. Stars where everywhere, I was sure I was watching one particular light moving erratically, G Monkee agreed with me, but then retracted his statement the next day. I still think I watched something odd going on. It was a beautiful night filled with star cover.
It was a lazy camp morning. Laying around, eating, and feeding the fire. Big_Load filtered our H2O and the Monkee and Me both climbed a tree out over the river. It might have been after 11 when we finally motivated. Trip out my feet where screaming and it was definitely hard miles for me. I borrowed the Monkees trekking Poles, I usually have a staff but didn’t bring it. It helped take some pressure off the dogs. The guys moved smooth while I hobbled through the woods. By the time we made it out I was ready to get home. My feet were are horror show until yesterday. Even with the pain I would’ve done it again in a second. Nice company, scenery, and hiking. These two friends of mine are really experienced hikers/climbers, doing their thing all over the country. After a weekend in the Pines though they both asked me when we were going back.

Nice report. It's great getting into the swamps, isn't it? Blisters sure can put a damper on things. That's why I always put band-aids on before I even start and carry plenty of spares. The last time I hiked with wet feet it did not cause any blisters. It actually felt cool and refreshing.

Steve

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
For the most part my feet are like iron from all the trail miles I log, but just recently have been less active and my feet reverted to their old soft selves. Could've been worse, could've been better too. Fun trip overall though. I'm doing the West Rim Trail (PA Grand Canyon) the long holiday weekend after Turkey Day. Ahhh life on the trail...