People of the Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been spending quite a bit of time looking over the 1940 census records finding all kinds of information on various individuals connected with the history of the Pine Barrens. A list of 'just a few' of the individuals I found.

David Kell who was the caretaker of the Rider/Wilkinson Bogs at Hampton Park, and all of the other residents of Hampton Park. If you have the hardback copy of one of the Forgotten Towns books there is a photo of Mr. Kell in it.

George Crummel who was the last charcoal burner in Wharton.

Albert LeDuc who you would have read about in Beck's chapter on Apple Pie Hill (From Bread and Cheese Run to Apple Pie Hill).

Ralph Buzby who owned Buzby's store in Chatsworth

A few Claybergers who eventually would own Hampton Park

Ralph Haines

Sam Moore

Joel Mick

Etc, etc.

And lastly the most famous of them all when he still lived in the Jenkins area before moving to Hog Wallow (the Jenkins location info was a tip from Lost Town Hunter and I want to thank him for that). Can you guess who before you click on this link or read the name of the link??????

You can click the photo to make it larger I believe. I had to really shrink it down so you could view it all.

Did you make a guess yet? He claims to have only made $180 in the year of 1939 except he does admit he had other income.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04222012/fred_brown.jpg

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, is it Ryder or Rider? On the forums terrain map it is Riders Switch, in your thread Hampton Park History it is R&W, Rider, yet above it is Ryder. Also you posted a picture of the packing house and it was labeled "Clayberger& Goodrich Packing House Hampton Park 1946". Do you know who they were and the relationship to R&W?

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Rider sold to Wilkinson and the Wilkinson females eventually were Clayberger and Goodrich. Lost Town Hunter can give you the exact details.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also found Garfield Alloway, his wife Anna, and son Mark who are mentioned on Alloway's Monument at Friendship. Take note that all of the names listed about them are most likely residents of Friendship.

Guy

Attachments

• alloway.jpg
    alloway.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 180