Pestletown Turkey Hunt

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was supposed to hunt in Pa. this weekend but some family situations arose and I had to stick around here instead.
I had a great morning in the woods yesterday right here listening to two gobblers responding to my mouth call at first light.
They eventually "hung up" on me and I was left watching the rest of the woods wake up.
I was sitting about 80 yds. from a vernal pond and I had three woodcock working for bugs and worms on the ground all around me. They wood flip the leaves and needles and come up with a critter each time.
I also saw what I can only describe as baby herons flying in and out of my hunting area and across the pond . They really weren't behaving as herons (wading )but they looked like miniature versions of herons.They sqaucked like them too.
About 8:00 I changed my spot and watched 3 hens and 3 gobblers working for bugs on some private ground. I called for awhile and tried to lure them to some State land but they must have had pretty good maps.
About 10:45 a.m. it felt like beach weather and I headed back to the house.
It was a great day in the woods and it's the best thing about hunting from predawn. Listening to the woods come to life.
Scott :wink:

B

bach2yoga

Sounds like you enjoy being out there as much as actually hunting. :)
Renee

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bach2yoga said:
Renee

Renee,

Speaking of hunting, did any of us figure out what those skulls were from when we last visited Amatol?

I was visiting some old train station on the Erie Lackawanna Cutoff (my area) and I saw similar remains. Like the last time, all that remained were the skulls.

Ken

B

bach2yoga

I'm confused, I don't know what skulls they would be. I have a woodcock skull and a turkey vulture skull - one I found, one Kendawg found. Other than deer, I can't remember what they would be... brain farts, sorry.
:(
Renee

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Always thought so...

bach2yoga said:
Renee

I've been hunting since I was eleven. Since college, I spend a week in PA, except when childbirth & work prevented it.

It is the most relaxing vacation I get. Watching the woods wake up and seeing all the creatures moving around makes it all worth the effort to get there. I can spend six days getting up at 0500 and spend almost ten hours in the woods and my wife always tells me how 'relaxed' my features look when I get home. My father is still hunting at 73; I wish him many more years as much as I look forward to spending more time in the woods as I get older.