Pet turtles require more space than you may think

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I had my boss give me a pond slider, kids didn't like cleaning the tank, they had him in about 2" of water, set up was all wrong. put him in a 30 ga. turtle tank out grew it quick, now in a 50 ga. turtle tank and he is out growing that, have to change the entire tank water once a week, a lot of work. reptile guy told me I will have to put him in my will because he will out live me.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
I heard it's illegal to have pet turtles because they carry salmonella. Is this true? I remember pet stores selling turtles when i was little and now none do.
It may be true for some places but Ive seen turtles for sale in pet stores to this day... but come to think of it all the places Ive seen them are up in RI so Im not sure about down here. Its a possibility but it doesnt seem likely.
And be prepared to be in it for the long haul. "A lot of times, turtles outlive their owners," says Friedland, who has a friend who's in his 50s who's had his box turtle since he was 10.
I dont think I could handle a pet like that. The only pet that I think I would ever care for, for that long would be a dog.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ok let me clear some things up here. Turtles are perfectly legal to own in new jersey as long as you have a permit to keep them and provide documentation that they were obtained legally, NOT wild caught. As new jersey residents you are not allowed to sell turtles to new jersey residents but you can sell them to a person in another state. You are allowed to posses painted turtles and I believe snappers without any sort of permit, but all other species need one, and are simple to obtain. As for salomanela turtles and all reptiles are a threat to spread this. However, if you keep a turtle under proper care in a clean cage with filtration you won't get salomanela. Also it is a federal law that you can't sell turtles under 4 inches. This is perhaps the dumbest law of all time. As a result pet stores in other states sell full adult wild caught turtles, because they can't sell captive born babies. Most die after being brought into captivity because they are not properly cared for, and stress very easily from being ripped from their environment. New Jersey is annoying with its laws but not allowing turtles to be sold in pet stores has allowed many of our native turtles to have really strong populations throughout the state.....other states can't say the same. As for longevity they live a incredibly long time, I have a collection and most of the turtles I've had my entire life, one in particular is at least 45 years old and still produces eggs each year. Some of these turtles will outlive me and I'm 25.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok let me clear some things up here. Turtles are perfectly legal to own in new jersey as long as you have a permit to keep them and provide documentation that they were obtained legally, NOT wild caught. As new jersey residents you are not allowed to sell turtles to new jersey residents but you can sell them to a person in another state. You are allowed to posses painted turtles and I believe snappers without any sort of permit, but all other species need one, and are simple to obtain. As for salomanela turtles and all reptiles are a threat to spread this. However, if you keep a turtle under proper care in a clean cage with filtration you won't get salomanela. Also it is a federal law that you can't sell turtles under 4 inches. This is perhaps the dumbest law of all time. As a result pet stores in other states sell full adult wild caught turtles, because they can't sell captive born babies. Most die after being brought into captivity because they are not properly cared for, and stress very easily from being ripped from their environment. New Jersey is annoying with its laws but not allowing turtles to be sold in pet stores has allowed many of our native turtles to have really strong populations throughout the state.....other states can't say the same. As for longevity they live a incredibly long time, I have a collection and most of the turtles I've had my entire life, one in particular is at least 45 years old and still produces eggs each year. Some of these turtles will outlive me and I'm 25.

Thanks for the input. Jessica wants to know where you obtain the permits?

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Unbelievable that if you live in New Jersey you cannot sell a turtle to another New Jersey resident, discriminatory against it's own residents, the law needs to be changed.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Jimbo, the law is kind of setup for the purpose of pet stores selling to new jersey residents. To be honest it is a good law for the turtles, pet stores have no business selling turtles or any wild animal for that matter. Private breeders can sell turtles at reptile shows to new jersey residents which is what occurs alot. Guy, you obtain the permits from fish and game. Do you have an interest in obtaining one?

Jimbo, glad you got a 40 gallon for that paint I'm sure he is happy for it. Take care
Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, you obtain the permits from fish and game. Do you have an interest in obtaining one?

No, she was just wondering. I personally had many turtles as a kid, and I always felt bad for them and let them go.

Guy

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011

You mentioned in your post that you can keep painted turtles without a permit...is that true?! whats your source...i know fish and wildlife classifies snappers as game and anyone with a freshwater license can keep three a day, but the license is a permit anyway, but i never saw or heard that said about painted turtles...where did you come across that information, id be interested to read more

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Wow, this one from the archives....wish I was still 25 hah.

As for painteds that was my understanding based on what I read, but quite honestly I could be wrong. I'm sure fish and wildlife website would have more info. Personally I see no reason to remove any animal from the wild whether common or not, but I thought I was told that painteds and garter snakes actually didn't require a permit of sorts....could be completely wrong though.

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011
Wow, this one from the archives....wish I was still 25 hah.

As for painteds that was my understanding based on what I read, but quite honestly I could be wrong. I'm sure fish and wildlife website would have more info. Personally I see no reason to remove any animal from the wild whether common or not, but I thought I was told that painteds and garter snakes actually didn't require a permit of sorts....could be completely wrong though.

I could be wrong too haha im just wondering...i never read the states laws, just the fish and wildlife digests by and by....you could easily be right...

i used to want to be a herpetologist, its one of my passions, if it makes you feel better i dont abuse the native populations!!! i was just wondering where you came up with that info