Pets in the Pines

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
What are peoples experiences with cats and cyotes? We have pet cats and we would like them to be able to go outside but it seems that cyotes are a real threat to felines. Is there something we could do or is it just best to keep them inside?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Mudpie,

I too worry about coyote since cats seems to be a favored treat. My two felines spend a good deal of time outdoors, but they are fit and hopefully savvy to their predator. Nights are spent indoors, especially after 11:00 PM when coyotes are most active. For some strange reason coyotes are most bothersome on weekends. Something is changing their usual rounds. Overall, the problem is intermittent, worsening with winter's depth.

The pack stays in a nearby woods field, howling up a storm. A scout or two are sent away to make a big loop around way around the pack, venturing through woods along the edge of town. It seems to be part of their hunting strategy. While attending a NASA dunes workshop at a National Park last year, I learned that park coyotes sometimes use these scouts to befriend domesticated dogs in surrounding settlements. Taking advantage of the domestic’s packing instinct, the tricked pooch is lured back to the pack for evening’s meal. That is what I was told.

S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I had two cats for a number of years in four different homes in the pines. In Tabernacle ~1996, one of the cats staggered home with his head gashed open and one eyeball hanging out. Miracle that he survived, we theorized that he was hit by a car but who knows? The vet bills were in the thousands and although he recovered, he was blind in one eye.

In Medford Lakes, the main issue was fights with other cats but a neighbor said somebody down the street was leaving poison outside for them. Around 2003 the town made it illegal for cats to run free and I think also instituted a license fee.

In Medford ~2005 I really didn't have any significant problems but the cats were getting older and didn't venture very far from the house.

In my current isolated home south of Mays Landing, I only had one 17 year old cat and he never went very far from the front porch. Good thing, because there are some tough looking wild cats that live in the woods here. These aren't stray kitty-cats, but wild animals that seem to survive well in the woods.

At my place in upstate NY, we had an incident where both cats tangled with a raccoon... and the 'coon won. :D Some more expensive vet bills from that adventure. I don't have cats anymore, and although I often miss them I like being free of the responsibility.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is there something we could do or is it just best to keep them inside?

Best thing you could do is to get a dog. Letting cats, or dogs, roam free is being pretty irresponsible IMO. Not just for their own welfare, but for the damage they do. The feral cat problem is bad enough, hopefully you won't contribute to it.

And if you take the advice and get a dog, please don't let it roam either. I have both and neither roam.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Mudpie,

I too worry about coyote since cats seems to be a favored treat. My two felines spend a good deal of time outdoors, but they are fit and hopefully savvy to their predator. Nights are spent indoors, especially after 11:00 PM when coyotes are most active. For some strange reason coyotes are most bothersome on weekends. Something is changing their usual rounds. Overall, the problem is intermittent, worsening with winter's depth.

The pack stays in a nearby woods field, howling up a storm. A scout or two are sent away to make a big loop around way around the pack, venturing through woods along the edge of town. It seems to be part of their hunting strategy. While attending a NASA dunes workshop at a National Park last year, I learned that park coyotes sometimes use these scouts to befriend domesticated dogs in surrounding settlements. Taking advantage of the domestic’s packing instinct, the tricked pooch is lured back to the pack for evening’s meal. That is what I was told.

S-M

Wow and they are smart too! Thank you for getting back to me on this issue. 'Id like to maybe build a pen or something to let them out safely.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Best thing you could do is to get a dog. Letting cats, or dogs, roam free is being pretty irresponsible IMO. Not just for their own welfare, but for the damage they do. The feral cat problem is bad enough, hopefully you won't contribute to it.

And if you take the advice and get a dog, please don't let it roam either. I have both and neither roam.

I already have a dog. It doesn't change that I have the 2 cats.........
Who are both spayed.

I don't know what IMO means. Maybe you could spell it out..................

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
I had two cats for a number of years in four different homes in the pines. In Tabernacle ~1996, one of the cats staggered home with his head gashed open and one eyeball hanging out. Miracle that he survived, we theorized that he was hit by a car but who knows? The vet bills were in the thousands and although he recovered, he was blind in one eye.

In Medford Lakes, the main issue was fights with other cats but a neighbor said somebody down the street was leaving poison outside for them. Around 2003 the town made it illegal for cats to run free and I think also instituted a license fee.

In Medford ~2005 I really didn't have any significant problems but the cats were getting older and didn't venture very far from the house.

In my current isolated home south of Mays Landing, I only had one 17 year old cat and he never went very far from the front porch. Good thing, because there are some tough looking wild cats that live in the woods here. These aren't stray kitty-cats, but wild animals that seem to survive well in the woods.

At my place in upstate NY, we had an incident where both cats tangled with a raccoon... and the 'coon won. :D Some more expensive vet bills from that adventure. I don't have cats anymore, and although I often miss them I like being free of the responsibility.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Hummmmmmmmmmmm.......a pen is sounding more and more of the way to go.
My cats would proabaly do nothing but preen and groom or the porch in a sunbeam.
But still it seems like anything could come along and start a sqabble with them.
They are very friendly towards other animals and wouldn't defend themselves very well.
Infact they have been friendly with both raccoons and opossoms, already.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Please don't let you cats outside, they take a heavy toll on wild critters. I had cats as a kid and they always stayed inside. My dad use to put anti freeze outside for the feral cats, he just got sick and tired of them killing chipmunks, using his antique convertibles as scratching posts and pissing on our property. The ones that didn't drink the freeze (I think they were too smart) where shipped to Camden to live an urban life, hah. Love cats hate ones that roam. Seems the feral cats in SJ are booming, keep seeing dozen dead or roads where I would never see one 10 years ago.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
What kind of pen would you build for cats? Seems like it would have to be fully enclosed on the top, bottom and all sides with some kind of heavy metal mesh. My cats were all very resourceful when it came to escaping.

IMO = In my opinion. :)

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
What kind of pen would you build for cats? Seems like it would have to be fully enclosed on the top, bottom and all sides with some kind of heavy metal mesh. My cats were all very resourceful when it came to escaping.

IMO = In my opinion. :)
We once had one built to surround all sides and top with proper wire when we lived on a busy road.
I designed it to what would be state regulations for rehabing wildlife which I did with my son when he was young.
It just seems that with a small farm and the acres we have now it would be nice to be able to let them expereince freash air and sunbeam but I am not feeling they will be safe.
So it looks like another pen is in order.