Photography lessons

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Anyone interested in improving their photography - digital imaging skills and be able to create photographs and not just snapshots?

What you would learn from the lessons would extend beyond your taking photos in the pines.

Key is to learn how to see the final image before you even point your camera. Post processing of an image is important as well.

Let me know if your interested. It could be something parents and children learn together while being in the pines.

I am very understanding of adults or children with special needs.

Mike pinebarrens@gmail.com

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Freerider, thats a great idea, and thanks for putting the offer out there. I'd be interested, for sure. Just purchased a Nikon D90 and would really like to learn to use it to it's full potential. Maybe if enough of us here on the forum show an interest, it would make for a nice group activity indoors or even outdoors.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I was hoping to charge an affordable fee. I did not make that clear in my post.

Glad you find it of interest. Thats a great camera. I had one for a few weeks. But decided to stay with Canon.

Certainly a small group would work to keep costs down for all. We can meet in the pines and go from there.

Including my helping via email at other times to help post process your image and think how to see differently. Digital is an incredible instantaneous learning tool no matter the quality of the camera.

I am highly experienced 20+ years and can help anyone improve their images 1000% in a few weeks.

Also willing to help if there are those who cannot afford a fee.

I realize we are all in a interesting time in our lives financially. Perhaps we can barter as well.

Mike

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Freerider, I'd definetly be interested in the lessons, even for an affordable fee.
If you don't mind, I'd like to get your adivce on the pic below. I took it yesterday with the D90 on set on "Auto". I think it's a white balance issue. 2 came out like this, the rest were fine.

picture.php

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That photo is WAY overexposed, to the point where the brighter areas have become completely white with no detail. This is what we call "blown out". White balance just affects the colors.

As to why it happened, not sure. For some reason the camera thought it was much darker outside than it really was. But the odd thing is that the trees aren't blown out to the same degree as the building... guess they were in deep shade?. Something else may have contributed to the problem. I always shoot full manual on my D80, but the few times I've used auto mode it worked pretty well.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
One factor I forgot to mention, is that the sun was directly behind me shining on the white church. Maybe to much light for the camera to register?? I did take other shots of the church with the sun behind me and they came out nice.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
When I had the D90 I had a problem with it sometimes way over exposing when I would wake it from sleep mode while in Aperture priority.

Other frames in the series would be good but the first few were not.

If you send me an email we can discuss things further.

Mike

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
When I had the D90 I had a problem with it sometimes way over exposing when I would wake it from sleep mode while in Aperture priority.

Other frames in the series would be good but the first few were not.

If you send me an email we can discuss things further.

Mike

I'll email you in a day or two to discuss it further. Didn't want to hijack the thread. I now return you to the main topic!!

Chris

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
My web site has been inactive as I found no reason to keep it going.

Hope to have one up in a few months via one of the online gallery's.

There are a few images posted in the photography section on this site.