pickerel fishing

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
did some pike fishing yesterday morning. mostly small ones, a couple medium sized ones. high water levels and lots of sediment made it a little tough but the little guys were biting like crazy.
8750776960_caacacafaa_c.jpg

8750770946_ecb96f00c9_c.jpg

8750767598_cff8600468_c.jpg

8749648989_fc5b2e454a_c.jpg

8750768934_c976c61ff8_c.jpg

hope you enjoyed the action photos.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice Photos Jeff!!!! :) Where were you fishing????

Thanks. Please don't take offensive but some of my more productive fishing holes I keep to myself. This is one of them. I tend to focus on more remote/secluded spots to fish. It never hurts to ask though. :D Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Woodjin, is that a beaver lodge, in the distance, in your second picture? It must have been nice to take advantage of this terrific weather and steal away a morning of fishing.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Woodjin, is that a beaver lodge, in the distance, in your second picture? It must have been nice to take advantage of this terrific weather and steal away a morning of fishing.

Yes, it is a beaver lodge, and yes, it was a beautiful morning to be in the pines!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The pollen was so bad today I could see the car tires of passing cars stirring it up. The pines were actually hazy from it. The rain tonight should help.

Guy

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Teegate,

I was in the pines today with my wife. I shook a pitch tree that had a lot of male cones on it and the dust was unbelievable. Agreed that it's really bad, but man that pic #4 is something else!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have had allergies the last two days.I never have allergies.This happened in Fort Bragg back in 95.We were on Annual Training and the pine pollen was so bad down there and we had to march through it and there was a big yellow cloud surrounding us.My throat swelled damn near shut and I could hardly swallow for a week.Pine pollen is the only thing that gets me and it's gotta be real bad to phase me.Thats how i know it's bad this year.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Great shots, Jeff! Thanx for sharing your pics. I see "old faithful" works in cool water, also. I especially thank you for sharing this! Been using it with good results since you told me about it. ;)

John-

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Woodjin what bait were you using? We were fishing on the Wading River last month and got skunked.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Woodjin what bait were you using? We were fishing on the Wading River last month and got skunked.

I was using plastics this time. Generally lighter colors work best as pikerel hunt by sight and our PB water is not the best for visability in general. The wading river is pretty shallow and clear so you can go easier on the light colors and utilize a metal lure, like a spoon, to capture the light. A little before dusk, a major feeding time, is good for working the surface. live bait will always work best though, minnows over worms.

In the rivers make sure to target the backwater areas adjacent to, but not in, the current. If there is more than a 90 degree bend in the river, fish the sharpest angle of the bend even if the current hits it hard. the big ones will hang in pockets in the bank created by the current flow and debrie (so they don't have to fight the current) and wait for what ever comes downstream. this approach works best with live bait. Good luck, have fun.

Jeff