Pics from today

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice. That bucket reminded me of something. I was out in the woods a week ago (bamber area) and someone had recently sunk a 30" diameter section of pipe into the soil. The pipe was about 24" deep and level with the ground, so, effectively you have a trap. A fence lizard was stuck in the bottom. I let him go. I wonder what they are up to?

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
That well has been there since the property was first built I'm guessin around 50 years ago or more. It has consistently had water in it at the same level year in and year out. I have seen traps for lizards or snakes sunk in the ground like that, usually at the end of a drift fence.
k

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Nice finds! I went out today and had some luck as well...... but i'm going to post the pics up later this weekend maybe in one shot. Since i switched back to dial-up loading pics takes FOREVER....... still have stuff from April i didn't post up yet.

Cool worm snake, didn't see one this year yet. Awesome spadefoot toad! I've only ever found one, they're so cool! Are you heading out saturday?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice photos!! a successful day I would say, especially with the worm snake and spadefoot. Very cool. Glad you are putting the CD to good use also:)

Jeff

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
In the past, I would find a dozen or so worm snakes, ringnecks, red bellies. I'm guessing the low water table is keeping them underground. Spadefoots I rarely see except for this time of year and was suprised to see him out in the open but next to his rock. The red salamander (see pics) was confusing at first cause of it's coloration, I had not seen one so drab. Disappointed with the number of snakes I saw, This time of year usually is very productive for me. Still, a day in the Pines is better than a day at work. And Jeff, thanks for the CD, it's perfect. Had my guitar with me but I got too muddy!
Not being a birdman, I need an Id on the little yellow one.
kyle

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Pine warbler would be my guess, def a warbler not too keen on the slight differences between warbler's though. I too went out yesterday, saw a bunch of musks, ton's of fence swift, and then the usual's, looking for spotteds but yesterday was a little to hot I suspect. Nice pics, the spadefoot is a nice find. Has anyone seen any box turtles out yet?

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Yeah the box turtles are out already, i found one a week or two ago. The diamondback terripans are out too, i found a hatchling sometime mid-late april.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Been to north central pa twice so far this year. Have seen three woodies but they weren't super active yet since this was two weeks ago and the streams were still pretty chilly, even for wood turtles. As for the boxies I guess I need to wait for a nice wet morning, if that ever happens again. Here are pics of the wood turtles I saw. These were the 35th and 36th I've seen in about 4-5 years at the same spot. Unfortunately most have been males, I sometimes fear that people are poaching the females because they fetch a bigger price in the pet trade.

Krloucks,

I think this is a Pine Warbler:

normal_Id_please.JPG

Steve