Picture of a giant bird seen in the pines

Hawk man

Sep 1, 2013
I remember riding through trails deep in pinebarrens with group of other quads when we came upon a huge owl in the trail right in front of me and chased it down for a few secs before it took flight, I recall it as approx 40" tall, and had a wingspan that filled the width of our trail at minimum of approx 6', this convinced me that tales of the jersey devil were really monster size owl sightings and am still amazed that I was there to witness the massive creature in broad daylight, awesome. This pic is close to what I saw that day, and think the pic shows it to be darker because of shadowing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That picture of a 'bird' looks like a pretty amateurish attempt at photoshopping :rolleyes:

The largest owls in North America are the Great Gray's; 27" long with a 52" wingspan and they are noctunal and primarily Canadian inhabitants, with a few along some western border states and a rare sighting elsewhere. Last seen in the east in 1979 and 1996.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Mark - I remember passing under a tree in central Jersey with one of those critters right above me, and yep enormous, and I didn't like the way it was looking at me.

Speaking of birds, I wonder I that tree with all the hummingbirds on it is still in Batsto. More hummingbirds in one place - by far - than I've ever seen anywhere, including the hummingbird house in the Desert Museum in Tucson.