Picture of a giant bird seen in the pines

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I was driving along one day last winter, taking pictures and such, and I was surprized when I saw the size of this bird. I was driving so I couldn't get a good shot of it. Couldn't even get a second shot before it flew away, so this is all I have. When it opened its wings to fly, it nearly spanned the width of the road. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Seen within 5 miles of the Quaker Bridge. Not sure what road I was on at the time.

Its right in the middle of the road a ways up...

100_2631.JPG

100_2631_cropped.jpg

100_2631_cropped_21.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would have to agree with Steve. And that was a quick capture. You must have had that camera in your hand while driving :D

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Took me a couple times to realize it was a bird with its wings open. Does look like a vulture, was there any dead animals on the trail?

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I would have to agree with Steve. And that was a quick capture. You must have had that camera in your hand while driving :D

Guy

Yeah, think I might have, or it was on the passenger seat next to me. I usually take pictures while im out there, so I usually have it close by.

Took me a couple times to realize it was a bird with its wings open. Does look like a vulture, was there any dead animals on the trail?

Might have been. Dont remember. I think there were 2 birds if I can remember right, but only got one in the picture. Well at least I know now what it is and am not wondering. Hope I see another one of those one day.

Also saw a rattlesnake last year. Or, a snake it a rattle-ing tail. Dont know if it was a actual rattlesnake or not cuz im not sure if they live in the pines. Was in the middle of the road as I was driving. I stopped. I tried to hide in the bushes off the road. Cant remember if I got a picture of it or not, but used the camcorder mode on my camera and you can hear it rattleing. That and the bird are probably the two wierdest animal species Ive seen out there. -Would like to see a bear one day. :)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If you have the video of it I'd love to see it. Many snakes rattle there tell when provoked. Black ratsnakes can sound just like rattlers. What did it look like, and yes rattlesnake are in the pines, just rare.

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Could be the photo but that bird appears to have a head that is much larger that any turkey vulture I have seen. In fact the whole bird is larger that any vultureI have ever seen.

Attachments

• Turkey_Vulture_Photo_2003-01.jpg
    Turkey_Vulture_Photo_2003-01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 313

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Could be the photo but that bird appears to have a head that is much larger that any turkey vulture I have seen. In fact the whole bird is larger that any vultureI have ever seen.

What other birds are out there that are that big? Must of had a 4 foot wingspan. We got eagles out there I think. But I dont think it was a eagle.

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
What other birds are out there that are that big? Must of had a 4 foot wingspan. We got eagles out there I think. But I dont think it was a eagle.

Looks like more than a 4ft. span from the photo. Vultures are huge but that doesn't look like a vulture FROM WHAT I CAN SEE IN THE PIC. Did you see the face? They have no feathers on the head/face and are quite ugly. I have never seen them in the winter either. To answer your question, I don't know of any other birds that big that live around here so that's probably what it is. The picture is just unclear I guess. It's an interesting photo, thanks for posting.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Vultures wing spans can get to nearly 7 feet! I would say vulture based on 1)likely hood, they are extremely common 2) they are black. The head could be hanging too low to see, or it could be a black heading vulture. I have seen them around but they are generally a little bit smaller.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If you look closely it is a vulture with its back to the car, with it wings spread over something. Black vultures which are slightly smaller, but still big are occasional winter residents in nj. Also turkey vultures when young still have black heads, they are huge birds. Also they are incredibly common in the pines during all seasons of the year.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We saw a nesting Turkey Vulture (I always called them Turkey Buzzards) yesterday, on the road east of Martha Furnace. He (or she) didn't like us passing beneath his (or her) tree, and unfurled his (or her) wings before flapping off. Absolutely enormous, and easily as large as the bird in that image.