Pine Barren Distillery

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Ok so this is going to be way off the normal subject..
I have been a huge enthusiast of all types of whiskey, especially bourbon. Every time I am in the pine barrens I imagine what bourbon distilled in the pine barrens would taste like with the fresh barren water, wooden barrel, and barrel aging house imparting the fresh barren air. Am I the only one who has thought of this?

Reactions: Piney4life

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Once we move to a larger property I plan to set up a still and do some fermentation experimentation just for fun. IIRC NJ recently made it easier for small distilleries to open, so maybe someday we'll see a piney whiskey produced. In Scotland and Ireland they fire the stills with peat, maybe pines whiskey could be fired with real pines charcoal?

Reactions: flash

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I would think the iron in Pine Barren water would not make a good for a Bourbon.
I don't believe there are any stills that utilize peat as a heat source anymore in Scotland or Ireland.
The malted barely is still dried over peat fires depending on the region of Scotland with Islay having the highest phenol concentration - think Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
I am a fan of the corryvreckan bottling. I have actually had a bottle of the 10, uigeadail, and corryvreckan.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Once we move to a larger property I plan to set up a still and do some fermentation experimentation just for fun. IIRC NJ recently made it easier for small distilleries to open, so maybe someday we'll see a piney whiskey produced. In Scotland and Ireland they fire the stills with peat, maybe pines whiskey could be fired with real pines charcoal?
Anything ever come of this?