Pine Barrens Fishing Question

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Earlier this summer, both of my boys (ages 8 and 11) took a more serious interest in fishing, and we got out a bit in our area here in Central NJ. They have expressed interest in fishing in the Pine Barrens, and I'd love to take them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some decent places (preferably the Northern part) where we could fish from shore and catch a variety of fish. We're not looking for lunker bass or anyone's best spots, but if I could get them on some pickerel and a variety of fish (however small) from shore, it would make them very happy. Again I know how fishing ethics are so I'm not looking to burn any spots or looking for the most coveted, but I'd like to give them a variety of experiences if I can. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share info on the open forum. Everyone here knows my herp ethics so rest assured I'm a vault when it comes to locations :D. Thanks for any you can share!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's very good to hear that your sons have the interest. I am sorry I can't be of much help in the northern Pine Barrens but it seems that all of the water bodies hold pickerel.

I used to fish the Mullica below Atsion and the Batsto River within the first mile or two upstream of the Village. Batsto was always more productive for me and it wasn't unusual to land a nice bass or two and even crappie along with the multiple pickerel. There are several bank fishing spots on the west side and I got a wall hanger pickerel from the bank in the 90's. Batsto also held catfish which are always a lot of fun to catch.

Good luck ! Hopefully some of our more Yankee Pine Barrens peeps can help you up north.

Last edited:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks Fellas! Someone PM'ed me a few good points for PB fishing, which brought me to one more question if you don't mind-we have fished streams up here and had a blast, often looking for pools, bends and structure. Any pointers for fishing Pine Barrens streams? We find the streams more fun than the lakes in the summer, even though the fish tend to be smaller, mostly because we can cool off by standing in them!

Thanks!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
It's very good to hear that your sons have the interest. I am sorry I can't be of much help in the northern Pine Barrens but it seems that all of the water bodies hold pickerel.

I used to fish the Mullica below Atsion and the Batsto River within the first mile or two upstream of the Village. Batsto was always more productive for me and it wasn't unusual to land a nice bass or two and even crappie along with the multiple pickerel. There are several bank fishing spots on the west side and I got a wall hanger pickerel from the bank in the 90's. Batsto also held catfish which are always a lot of fun to catch.

Good luck ! Hopefully some of our more Yankee Pine Barrens peeps can help you up north.

Thanks Rednek, the Atsion, Mullica and Batsto Rivers sound tempting to try.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Okay folks I'm back with another fishing question! It seems like bullhead catfish are not unheard of in the Pine Barrens, we've caught a few here and there. I think my big question is how dense are the catfish populations in the Pine Barrens, and are they also known to inhabit old bogs with the same population densities that they might inhabit the lakes?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
For the past 12 years I exclusively fish abandoned cranberry bogs. I only have a very limited time early in the season before the bogs get choked out with Fragrant Water-Lilies and other vegetation. I have only pulled out Chain Pickerel, strictly using artificial. Yellow Bullheads and Brown Bullheads are found in the Pinelands, but I don't believe you will find them in old bogs. I would think you would only find them in the backwaters of lakes and larger streams. As to their population density, I have no idea.