pine barrens float

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I just bought a canoe this week and I am planning on a trip in the pines for may.I was wondering if anyone could recommend a long trip , I was thinking two nights. I was also wondering if any of the local canoe rentals will shuttle for a resonable fee.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think 2 niters are hard to come by grendel. Maybe if you included the upper part of the Mullica in a Mullica trip. I have never done more than an overnighter. The rivers run cool, lovely, clean, and pretty, but not long or deep.

Another thing you could do is stretch the days out by stashing the canoe and exploring the river bank.

If you have never done any canoeing here, why not just start out with a day trip?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Grendel, the mullica can be a real nice over nighter from goshen pond or even Jackson rd. to pleasant mills. You could stay at the wilderness camp site also.

I never canoed/kayaked the Great Egg Harbor as of yet so I can' t give much feedback there.

Bel Haven canoe rental in greenbank is a good livery place. I don't have their # but they have a web site is you search Bel Haven Canoe. They can give you all the info you need for an overnighter in Wharton and area. They will rent or just deliver your canoe or kayak. They are good that way. There is also Pines Barrens canoe rental on 563 and I think Micks on 563 is open again. Good Luck, lots of fun.

Just be sure to check water levels, a 2hr trip can become 7hrs if the water levels are low. I know this from experience.

Jeff

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
thanks for the advice Jeff. I would not have thought that the Mullica was passable above Atsion lake. I have never really checked out that neck of the woods.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That photo is classic, it clearly isn't even south jersey. Looks like pa where i go hiking or trout fishing. If that is in the pine barrens please let me know where that is because I'm going there.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
float trip

Hey grendel, i've canoed most of the pine barrens rivers ,the easiest overnighter the batsto, the prettiest the oswego, the shallowest the wading and the longest to get to your campsite is the mullica,from goshen pond to 206 is nice then you portage and from there on it is loaded with twist after turn of wid beauty, only downfall to the mullica is the camp site is litteraly3/4's of the way to 542, it's a good 5-7 hours of paddling to get there not difficult but it will test your resolve lol.the winding river from 8th street in folsom is very nice ,it ends at lake lenape, unless you put in below the damm in mayslanding and continue .well either way enjoy this is perfect weather for it:bear: