Pine Barrens unusual names

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Cannon Range is interesting in itself. There is a reference to it in Cumberland County Old Names and Places, anonymous, compiled c. 1915:

Cannon Range Avenue – This is a road on the Cumberland Tract [the 20,000-acre Richland Colony]. In 1895, Edward R. Wood ran out a line from a point on the road from Cumberland to Hunters Mill to the north line of the tract and cleared out a portion of the line with the idea that it would be sold to the National government for use as a testing ground for heavy ordinance. It was inspected by the government officials on a hot summer day and the mosquitoes drove the party away before the inspection was concluded. It was never used for the purpose intended and in Mr. Wood's scheme of development [Richland] became known as Cannon Range Avenue. There are now [1916] a few small farms in the process of growth along it.

More can read about the Cannon Range in Report of the Board of Ordinance and Fortification, January 5, 1892 (1893), which Jerseyman found for me some time ago:

See pp. 93–112:

(X) Site near Richland. This site is situated in the interior of south New Jersey, about 2-1/2 miles from Richland, a station on the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad, about 30 miles from Philadelphia, which would be the natural supply station (p. 93).

....In regard to the selection of this site for a proving ground the Board is of the opinion that if an exclusively land range is to be selected this site is suitable; but the Board would further state its opinion that it is very desirable, if not essential, that a proving ground should afford facilities for various war-like appliances in or over deep water, and in view of this case the Board does not recommend the Richland site for selection as a proving ground (p. 110).

Some additional notes on the location: 

There are already homes on "Cannon Range Road" in 1896, according to Risley's promotional pamphlet Estelle and Milmay: The Growing Colony in Southern New Jersey. Views of Pioneer Life. I interviewed an ancient resident (96 in 1998), the grandson of one of Richland's founders (Jonathan Harrison Smith), who claimed that a cannon was taken off a freight car in Richland and wagon-hauled along an old trail to Milmay for firing. The original ancient "Cannon Range" trail crossed right through our farm, and intersected with William Hollingshead's Boundary Road at a charcoal pit.

Smith had a steam-powered sawmill between the Cannon Range and the Manumuskin River on South River Road, which went from the Oasis spung at Vanaman's Thick 'n Hole Tract [New Italy], crossed the Manumuskin River at the saw-dust pile, intersected the Tuckahoe Trail at Buckhorn, and ended at the Smith-Ireland burial ground in Atlantic County Park. Smith disassembled and rebuilt the mill at Richland’s Saw Mill Park to cut at E.R. Wood's request the West Jersey right-of-way and supply lumber to the burgeoning Richland village.

The Milmay portion became Waldeck Farms, a licorice-growing boondoggle during World War I. (Walker, of forge-fame, and Decker from NY). After Armistice, they tried cotton, peanuts, tobacco, and Angora. The land was abandoned for back taxes during the Great Depression. Our barn, now retrofitted into part of my brother's new house, is where the Waldeck moonshine was piled up in barrels during Prohibition. We bought the place in 1959 when I was born.

S-M

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We locals still call it Dingletown. If someone says I'm on Forked Neck Road I have to answer "where?". It is a long road. If they say I'm on Dingletown Road I know exactly where they are. I think it is more confusing now than with a very specific name., plus I don't like government erasing history.
BTW, the road sign at 206 is Forked Neck Road, at Carranza it is Fork Neck Road.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
We locals still call it Dingletown. If someone says I'm on Forked Neck Road I have to answer "where?". It is a long road. If they say I'm on Dingletown Road I know exactly where they are. I think it is more confusing now than with a very specific name., plus I don't like government erasing history.
BTW, the road sign at 206 is Forked Neck Road, at Carranza it is Fork Neck Road.

And west of 206 was just Neck Road.
I guess Shamong twp had the 206 sign made up (Forked Neck Rd.) and Tabernacle made Carranza Rd sign (Fork Neck Rd.) I think the official name is Forked Neck Road. .

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I am pretty sure that I have seen very old deeds from the area that refer to the old road as Forker's Neck road. I will try to dig them up. I guess the real question isn't "What's a Forked Neck?" but rather "Who was Forker?"

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
From the New Jersey Mirror (1907):

Also, at the same time and place, will be sold a tract of 11 acres of land, situate in Forker's Bridge Neck, adjoining land late belonging to the estate of Edward T. Thompson.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Cannon Range is interesting in itself. There is a reference to it in Cumberland County Old Names and Places, anonymous, compiled c. 1915:

Cannon Range Avenue – This is a road on the Cumberland Tract [the 20,000-acre Richland Colony]. In 1895, Edward R. Wood ran out a line from a point on the road from Cumberland to Hunters Mill to the north line of the tract and cleared out a portion of the line with the idea that it would be sold to the National government for use as a testing ground for heavy ordinance. It was inspected by the government officials on a hot summer day and the mosquitoes drove the party away before the inspection was concluded. It was never used for the purpose intended and in Mr. Wood's scheme of development [Richland] became known as Cannon Range Avenue. There are now [1916] a few small farms in the process of growth along it.

More can read about the Cannon Range in Report of the Board of Ordinance and Fortification, January 5, 1892 (1893), which Jerseyman found for me some time ago:

See pp. 93–112:

(X) Site near Richland. This site is situated in the interior of south New Jersey, about 2-1/2 miles from Richland, a station on the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad, about 30 miles from Philadelphia, which would be the natural supply station (p. 93).

....In regard to the selection of this site for a proving ground the Board is of the opinion that if an exclusively land range is to be selected this site is suitable; but the Board would further state its opinion that it is very desirable, if not essential, that a proving ground should afford facilities for various war-like appliances in or over deep water, and in view of this case the Board does not recommend the Richland site for selection as a proving ground (p. 110).

Some additional notes on the location: 

There are already homes on "Cannon Range Road" in 1896, according to Risley's promotional pamphlet Estelle and Milmay: The Growing Colony in Southern New Jersey. Views of Pioneer Life. I interviewed an ancient resident (96 in 1998), the grandson of one of Richland's founders (Jonathan Harrison Smith), who claimed that a cannon was taken off a freight car in Richland and wagon-hauled along an old trail to Milmay for firing. The original ancient "Cannon Range" trail crossed right through our farm, and intersected with William Hollingshead's Boundary Road at a charcoal pit.

Smith had a steam-powered sawmill between the Cannon Range and the Manumuskin River on South River Road, which went from the Oasis spung at Vanaman's Thick 'n Hole Tract [New Italy], crossed the Manumuskin River at the saw-dust pile, intersected the Tuckahoe Trail at Buckhorn, and ended at the Smith-Ireland burial ground in Atlantic County Park. Smith disassembled and rebuilt the mill at Richland’s Saw Mill Park to cut at E.R. Wood's request the West Jersey right-of-way and supply lumber to the burgeoning Richland village.

The Milmay portion became Waldeck Farms, a licorice-growing boondoggle during World War I. (Walker, of forge-fame, and Decker from NY). After Armistice, they tried cotton, peanuts, tobacco, and Angora. The land was abandoned for back taxes during the Great Depression. Our barn, now retrofitted into part of my brother's new house, is where the Waldeck moonshine was piled up in barrels during Prohibition. We bought the place in 1959 when I was born.

S-M
My old girlfriends grandparents lived on cannon Range Road.Used to have big Memorial day family reunions there.Thats way back early 80's

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I am pretty sure that I have seen very old deeds from the area that refer to the old road as Forker's Neck road. I will try to dig them up. I guess the real question isn't "What's a Forked Neck?" but rather "Who was Forker?"

That would be interesting, but it would confuse the 911 coordinators even more.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
From the New Jersey Mirror (1907):

Also, at the same time and place, will be sold a tract of 11 acres of land, situate in Forker's Bridge Neck, adjoining land late belonging to the estate of Edward T. Thompson.

Oriental, now that you mention it, back in the 70s I believe I ran across either a deed or an old map down stairs in the clerk's Office that mentioned Forker's Bridge and Forker's Neck Road at about the location on the map below.
Edward T. Thompson, State Assemblyman (1871-73), Township Official. He lived in the big house on Willow Grove Rd. right by the dam on the Grist Mill Pond better known as Indian Mills Lake. Then, he moved to Atsion where I believe he owned a general store.
Forks.jpg

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, Ben has asked us not to post scans of newspaper articles in the forums. He had a legal issue involving some old articles that a user posted recently...

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Edward T. Thompson, State Assemblyman (1871-73), Township Official. He lived in the big house on Willow Grove Rd. right by the dam on the Grist Mill Pond better known as Indian Mills Lake. Then, he moved to Atsion where I believe he owned a general store.

Yes. I believe that E.T. Thompson was the son of Arthur Thompson who was the long-time inn-keeper at Quaker Bridge. He also had interest in several cranberry bogs in the vicinity of Naylor's Corner (Oriental).

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
There are plenty of locations, roads, etc. in or near the Pine Barrens with unusual names, and I would love to know the origin of these names. Some examples that I can think of are Ongs Hat, Purgatory, Penny Pot, Mount Misery, Sweetwater, and too many more to list here. Let's see who can provide info on the origin of these names. The first name I would like to know would be Bloody Ridge.
Sweetwater means freshwater and presumably it was far enough up the Mullica River for early sailors to refill their stores. There are other places throughout the country named Sweetwater too.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I have a possible geologic explanation for "sweetwater," which according to historical lore is associated with taste during long storage:

"The same biological agents that helped form bog iron turned water in streams a brownish color, but it was not dirty; rather it was cleaner than most water. Chemotrophic bacteria (those that obtain energy through chemical oxidation) catalyze iron and organic material turning waters dark. The hotter the weather, the darker the streams become. In the winter, when biological activity ebbs, branches run clear.[xxxviii] It is speculated that this combined chemical-biological activity purifies the water to an exceptional degree. Sea captains were keen to collect barrels of tea-colored water for long voyages, since it never went stale. This “cedar water,” or “sweetwater,” was collected; it tasted silky, and was almost sweet in flavor.[xxxix]"
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5233023705869314251#_ednref
[xxxviii] Means, et al., 1981
[xxxix] Harshberger, 1916

Sugar Sand Opportunity: Landscape and People of the Pine Barrens
http://vafnewsletter.blogspot.com/2014/07/sugar-sand-opportunity-landscape-and.html

Also:

Natural treasures buried deep within Bay’s cypress swamps
http://www.bayjournal.com/blog/post/natural_treasures_buried_deep_within_bays_cypress_swamps

S-M

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Chemotrophic bacteria (those that obtain energy through chemical oxidation) catalyze iron and organic material turning waters dark. The hotter the weather, the darker the streams become. In the winter, when biological activity ebbs, branches run clear.

Is this a true statement? Interesting if so.