Pine Barrens water safe to drink?

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm planning a backpacking trip which will entail hiking the length of the Batona Trail w/ light gear and camping in non-designated camping areas. I will probably only be carrying enough water to get through the first day/night, so from there I will need to find my water sources "in the field". I have read that the water in the Pine Barrens is drinkable. Of course, the book I read this in was published in the 70s. Is this still true? What do you recommend in terms of purifying the water?

Thanks,

Chuck

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
In order to be safe, I would suggest you get a simple, compact water purifier that will get rid of bacteria, viruses and parasites. I have an MSR WaterWorks purifier that works great, and was under 100 dollars when I bought it from REI about a year ago.

I've seen people drink the water in the Pines, however, without purifying it and not get sick. I wouldn't personally risk it though. Dysentery probably sucks.

:taco:

HA! There's a taco in the smilie list. How often do tacos come up? I guess only in discussions about Cinco de Mayo, or dysentery.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
I see. I purchased a Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter from REI last night. It claims to get rid of bacteria and protozoa, but not viruses. Am I correct to assume that boiling the water will kill the viruses? Or should I go w/ an iodine solution?

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
You can either boil the water OR use iodine, whichever is easier for you. I've always used the iodine, because I'm impatient with waiting for water to boil when I'm thirsty.

According to the CDC's website
(http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=recs&obj=food-drink-risks.htm):

"Portable filters currently on the market will provide various degrees of protection against microbes. Reverse-osmosis filters provide protection against viruses, bacteria, and protozoa, but they are expensive and larger than most filters used by backpackers, and the small pores on this type of filter are rapidly plugged by muddy or cloudy water. In addition, the membranes in some filters can be damaged by chlorine in water. Microstrainer filters with pore sizes in the 0.1- to 0.3-μm range can remove bacteria and protozoa from drinking water, but they do not remove viruses. To kill viruses, travelers using microstrainer filters should be advised to disinfect the water with iodine or chlorine after filtration, as described previously. Some filtration kits come with an additional filter effective against viruses. Filters with iodine-impregnated resins are most effective against bacteria, and the iodine will kill some viruses; however, the contact time with the iodine in the filter is too short to kill the protozoa Cryptosporidium and, in cold water, Giardia."

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The Katadyn is great, I've been using the same one going on 10 years now and its still going strong. Wherever you decide to hike I wouldn't suggest drinking water straight from streams or creeks, bacteria lurk just about everywhere.
Just some food for thought, camping outside of designated areas is illegal in the Pines, so if you are set on doing this practice L.N.T. wherever you find yourself. Our ecosystem is fragile and needs all of our help in protection.
As for water sources, most of the major stops along the way; Batsto, Bass River, Lebanon all have them. Wharton has sources at Batsto village and the Batona Camp, but not Lower Forge. Bass River at the camp sites, and Brendan Bryne has water at Pakim Pond and the camps sites closer to the ranger station. Outside of those I've mentioned you have to rely on filtering, or combo iodine and boil. Have a great trip.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Piney Boy -- Thanks. I was going to be diplomatic and say that myself in the original post, but somehow forgot to do so. I absolutely will be carrying out everything that I carry in, will be setting up camp in a thoughtful location, and will be cooking not by campfire but by portable stove. Thanks for the help everyone...

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I didn't want to come across as a know it all holier than thou type, but my work with the National Park Service has shown me insights into many great areas that get abused out of ignorance and simple laziness. L.N.T is almost a mantra for me these days, and was in no way meant to imply that you would do anything but the right thing. Hope you have a great trip and come out of it with some new insights about yourself and the natural world! Write up I nice trip report when your finished, I'd love to read it.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Piney Boy -- You didn't seem patronizing or anything. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I was looking at some photographs of Apple Pie Hill that I found via Google, and there's broken glass and trash all over the place. If everyone had the same mentality as you, the trail would be a much nicer place.

In fact, I was thinking about this quite a bit. I'm by no means part of the "in crowd" here or anywhere related to wilderness preservation, but what if an organization such as this -- albeit a loose knit one -- were to sponsor a "Take 5 extra pieces of trash out" month or something, where members are motivated to do some hiking/camping/whatever and while they're there, pick up 5 pieces of trash and carry it out w/ them. Just a thought...

Having said that, any other points where it's safe to drink water?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
watchmaker said:
Piney Boy -- You didn't seem patronizing or anything. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I was looking at some photographs of Apple Pie Hill that I found via Google, and there's broken glass and trash all over the place. If everyone had the same mentality as you, the trail would be a much nicer place.

In fact, I was thinking about this quite a bit. I'm by no means part of the "in crowd" here or anywhere related to wilderness preservation, but what if an organization such as this -- albeit a loose knit one -- were to sponsor a "Take 5 extra pieces of trash out" month or something, where members are motivated to do some hiking/camping/whatever and while they're there, pick up 5 pieces of trash and carry it out w/ them. Just a thought...

Having said that, any other points where it's safe to drink water?

I was up at Apple Pie about 3 weeks ago and it looked like somebody had just cleaned, it was a pleasant change. Most times the same cant be said, that easy acess to vehicles leads to to many irresponsible parties.
Every now and than there are sponsered events, me, I almost always pack out on dayhikes. I wouldn't be abject to going if somebody around here sponsered one though. I split most of my trail time between the Pines and PA sites. I belong to a loosely knit group of area hikers known as MAYP. A crazy bunch, but some excellent people with a wealth of outdoors experience. These folks are hardcore with regards to cleanup, I've seen people on weeklong trips with 40+ lbs packs carrying out a ton of garbage, it does however make the heart feel good.:)
Cant think of any other watering holes on the Batona, although some other local trails do have options, but that isn't much of a help with what your looking for.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just plan ahead and stash some water along the route and pick it up as you pass. Once you get an idea how your water use is on the first few hikes you will get more of an idea on what you need to buy or prepare for.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I always feel like I am bulletproof and at 47 3/4 yrs. old, so far it has been holding true.
No surgeries, diseases, broken bones, hospital stays and no medications of any kind, not even aspirin.
It might be the homemade wine and chewing tobacco.
I took my first guzzlings of the Batsto in 1976 when I started riding motorcycles in the pines.
We would stop at Quaker Bridge for a smoke break and a drink of "cedar water"
I still have no hesitation to drink from the Batsto, Mullica or Wading Rivers in the pines and I have drank from the Albertson Branch right here in Pestletown more than a few times.
I no longer drink from the Albertson due to the prevalence of beaver lately and the crap shoot of drinking in some Giardia (beaver fever).
I don't think dysentery is a threat at all.
I would definitely drink any water grabbed from a pines river fresh and not store any and provide microbes or bacteria any chance of multiplying.
To err on the side of caution, buy one of the purification gadgets at the local yuppy mart like REI or LL Bean and die anyway, eventually.
I live by the credo "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
:D
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
I still have no hesitation to drink from the Batsto, Mullica or Wading Rivers in the pines and I have drank from the Albertson Branch right here in Pestletown more than a few times.
I no longer drink from the Albertson due to the prevalence of beaver lately and the crap shoot of drinking in some Giardia (beaver fever).
Scott

I will have to pass along the article in the Batsto Gazette where they discuss raw sewage floating down the Albertson in the 80's. Came from Ancora they say.

I think I 'll pass on drinking it also.

Guy