Pine Experience over the Years

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Yesterday, I did my annual Birthday run. Last year I did a 7.7 mile run. Plagued with some running injuries this past year, I decided to cut it back to 5 miles, but do it a place that I enjoyed for the past 15 years, The NJ Pine Barrens. I started out at the Atsion Ranger Station. Ran up Hampton Road making a right onto E. Stokes Road. And then another right that leads me over to Quaker Bridge Road and back to the Ranger Station. I ran in that dirction incase my running issue may return, It probably would be on Quaker Bridge. Someone would have to come by sometime during the day. No one did while out there, the whole loop.

Here's a few selected photos along the way........

Turtle Cache - Bog Trip 2009 012.jpg

This Cache was sitting on a down limb across the Tulpehocken Creek, way up stream.

IMG_6167.JPG

Car 54, Where Are You?

IMG_0105.JPG

My favorite mushroom photo. I took the photo in my first year of exploring. It's hanging up on the wall at home.

IMG_3042.JPG

Everyone knows this person.

IMG_4122.JPG

Not everyone knows this person. Well. he happens to be the Most Interesting Man in the Pines. (You can decide.) "Even though I may be lost, no matter which I go. I'm going in the right direction."

Frog-Southern Leopard (10).jpg

A frog in milk. I went back at least 7 years later and the water was the same color.

Pinelands-Shreve Br. Apr 2011 051.jpg

The tear eventually got much larger, so I had to sew them up. At a replacement cost of $79.95, I got another year out of them. Later, Bob gave me a pair of canvas pants that I now use to bushwhack.

IMG_0112.JPG

Just slowly moving along.....

IMG_2030.JPG

I found this on one of my outings deep in the Pines. It did have recycled trash in it.

20230801_113851.jpg

I was very lucky to get to know these two guys. They have been quite helpful to me. I don't even have the tenth of the knowledge of the Pines as they do. So; I Thank You.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ron,

I think you and I were in the same room in Princeton. I suspect I am correct because these photos show it. Some show the lunch Ted Gordon and I attended. Were you there with someone else? Your wife?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
While looking over my photos I figured this is a good time to mention this. Here is a book with Ted Gordon in it. While we were at Princeton he showed it to me and surprised even the people around us that he was in the book. The pine barrens are discussed in it but I can't remember how much. A review on Amazon gives it a 5 star.

IMG_2329a.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I think you and I were in the same room in Princeton. I suspect I am correct because these photos show it. Some show the lunch Ted Gordon and I attended. Were you there with someone else? Your wife?
Guy: Yes, I was there with my wife. At the time, I wasn't a member of this site, but did recognize a couple people in the audience. My son had John NcPhee's book. (Plus he has a good number of other books written by him) It was required reading for Senior English in High School back in 1996.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Attached is a full size photo before the place filled up. Anyone you know?

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Attached is a full size photo before the place filled up. Anyone you know?
Yes, I do recongize one person in the photo, but I don't know who you were referring.

The first photo shows the angle as to where my wife and I were sitting facing the Panel.

IMG_3047.JPG

This second photo shows a lovely women in the background of your photo. That person happens to be my Wife.

IMG_1568.PNG

I'm not sure, but you and maybe Bob were sitting not that far from my left. Maybe the next section over. I don't know why my wife was standing over arcoss the room. I think she was getting bored waiting around. We did get there early.

Reactions: bobpbx