Pine Pollen

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really heavy around here today, was driving through Peaslee this morning and there was a yellow haze in the air. When a gust of wind came along, it looked like smoke blowing from the pine trees. Heavy rain forecast for tonight - that should help.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Has begun up here too. Regarding the rain, as you probably already know, that relief is usually temporary. Pine pollen is very patient, and has no trouble outlasting interruptions by rain.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Really heavy around here today, was driving through Peaslee this morning and there was a yellow haze in the air. When a gust of wind came along, it looked like smoke blowing from the pine trees.

A lot is coming from the Oak catkins, worse than the pollen IMO, clogs everything up, including the dogs hair :eek:

QUERRUBR-stam-streety-dirty.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think the oak pollen peaked here yesterday, everything was covered with that stuff. Bob, I was remembering a recent year where it was very dry and windy during pollen season. The same pollen just kept blowing around.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A lot is coming from the Oak catkins, worse than the pollen IMO, clogs everything up, including the dogs hair :eek:
I call it Oak Snot. Our yard is filled with it. Hoping tonight's storms whip most of it off. Gutters are already plugged.
Just planted one of my two vegetable gardens with pepper, tomato and cucumber plants and the hail started. Yaaay ! :mad:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Regarding the rain, as you probably already know, that relief is usually temporary. Pine pollen is very patient, and has no trouble outlasting interruptions by rain.

Looks like the "temporary relief" could be as much as a week. Do you think the pollen will start flying again when the sun finally returns?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Looks like the "temporary relief" could be as much as a week. Do you think the pollen will start flying again when the sun finally returns?

Although it drizzled here most of the morning, it tapered off this afternoon, and a windy front came in. Back out came the pollen. It only takes a little wind to dry it.
upload_2018-5-18_17-26-7.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Although it drizzled here most of the morning, it tapered off this afternoon, and a windy front came in. Back out came the pollen. It only takes a little wind to dry it.

I bet the pollen is coming from that wooded lot you can see on the right. Better have a talk with the owner :D

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is the male cone, which releases the pollen from the scales shown at the arrow (I pulled these off the main cone). Quite a lot of pollen from each of these. All I did was tap it a couple times and that load to the right fell out. These pollen grains end up being blown to the female cones and find the ovule.

upload_2018-5-18_21-44-5.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Grass was so tall after the rain that I cut it yesterday for the first time this season. Was so congested afterwards that it pretty much killed the rest of the day. I'm only mildly allergic to the pollen but that was just too much for me. Things are looking hopeful down here today, very little pollen on the car this morning - and none of the oak crap. Maybe we are nearing the end?

T

Toothy Critter

The ONLY thing I was ever allergic to in my entire life was work. Once I hit my mid 60's, all of a sudden I get allergies in the Spring. Never related to people who complained of allergies all their lives...but I do now. Must be hell for them.