Pinehurst or Pinewald?

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
uuglypher said:
Bob-
Great pix of the early development of the Pinehurst/Pinewald area. I'm still being amazed at the resources available on this site. Ben and others have done, and continue to do, one helluva job!
Many thanks,
Dave

Wasn't this also the case with Apple Pie Hill? A failed subdivision experiment?

Theressa

Aug 10, 2007
Pinewald is the name and it is in Berkely Township near Bayville and Tom's River. I went to school there. There was a railroad going through it (Jersey Central). The building that BobM mentioned is now Bayview nursing home. Formerly pinehaven nursing home and also pinehurst nursing home and originally the Royal Pines hotel. The lake in front of the building is crystal lake and the road heading east was the main road leading to the hotel from the railroad station which was still there the last time I was in the area. The hotel was built in the early 20's as a hide away vacation resort. The land that pinewald occupies was almost completely a part of the old resort. It contained a boat house on the lake, a boat house and pavillion on Barnaget bay in Bayvile, a dance pavillion, golf course, a bath house on cedar creek which we used to call the spanish mansion, hiking trails, hunting trips etc. It was quite an operation. A lot of money was spent to lure rich New Yorkers down there but the great depression sent it into bankruptcy. The nine story building was designed by William Sanger, husband of women's advocate Margret Sanger. When I was a kid rumour had it that Al Capone used the place as a hide out but I doubt it. It was also said that a tunnel went out under the lake and they used to keep and serve booze there during prohibition. There is a tunnel there, but it only goes from the building's boiler room to beneath the boat house across the street. (I used to work there) It has a main room down there and some smaller rooms so the speakeasy part could be true.:guinness:
Dom
Hi,
Here's what I was told about Pinewald. At some point in time Dr. Dodd from Beach Haven had a clinic or hospital there.
In early days it was also a home where the RICH sent their daughters who were in the family way while telling their friends they were visiting abroad or aunt Tillie....
I do know it was a hospitla during the 1940's as my late husband and many others from Ocean Co. and perhaps beyond were born there. I was also told it was a troop hospital during WW II.
T.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
You can also explore the site of the Pinewald station of the CNJ. The site is mostly overgrown, with just sume rubble and a bit of the foundation remaining from the station. It is interesting that the flagpole still stands at the site, poking up between some Norway Spruces, and still topped with a piece of the old wind vane. The site is on Wheaton Ave. I forget the name of the intersecting road. I do know it isn't Station Rd., which is a block or two away, and most likely named as the closest road to the station that goes out to Rt. 9.

ccpiney

Sep 15, 2012
In a recent thread (don't recall which one...) I mentioned a place my dad had told me about that was a moonshiner's location back in prohibition and which I'd visited many years later on a herping expedition. Some of you suggested it might be near Bayville - a name I didn't recall.
I still don't recall Bayville, but think it was somewhere near Toms River and in the middle of a conversation on a totally different topic with my wife I blurted out: "Pinewald; could it be Pinewald and not Pinehurst?"

After assuring her that I'd not finally rounded the bend I vowed to check with you all to set me straight, if, indeed, I need to be so set...

So:

Pinehurst or Pinewald?
Is there a railroad track or old rail bed closeby?
Is it not far from Toms River?

OK, guys, eddicate me. A failing memory is unfortunate, but I'm not at all snsitive to the fact that it is happening, so lemmeno the facts!

Dave
You are very correct. The place is Pinewald, a section of Berkley Township. Living here my whole life I know it all to well. No one will admit to all the rumors. As personal experience has shown me, they are true. The tunnels are there. One does lead to the opposite side of the lake. There is a hatch in the lake. There is a tunnel to the "spansh mansion". All the tunnels have been sealed off. And yes the place is haunted. The top floor so called tower, is locked up, and no one enters it! Yet at different times you can find it unlocked and opened. The same goes for the tunnels, they are sealed with concrete, but before you get to the concrete, you have to get past the locked steel gates. As for who was there, I don't know. Yes the old railroad tracks went near there, you can still find remnants of them a mile away, over the Cedar Creek. Still to this day there are no buildings around here that can compare to it. Plus the tunnels and tower room, have no real reason to have been made, so then why?? Why build a tunnel from a hotel under a lake to the other side of the lake, a lake that is man-made. Something not right there. As people can deny the rumors and tunnels, if you look you will find them there. It is now a nursing home and rehab, but most is still original, like the "scary" elevator, other's have spoken of. It is an open metal cage elevator, with sliding cage grate door. I am sure when opened as a hotel it was beautiful. Now it is what nightmares are made of.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Hi,
Here's what I was told about Pinewald. At some point in time Dr. Dodd from Beach Haven had a clinic or hospital there.
In early days it was also a home where the RICH sent their daughters who were in the family way while telling their friends they were visiting abroad or aunt Tillie....
I do know it was a hospitla during the 1940's as my late husband and many others from Ocean Co. and perhaps beyond were born there. I was also told it was a troop hospital during WW II.
T.[/

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Pinewald

Pinewald is the name and it is in Berkely Township near Bayville and Tom's River. I went to school there. There was a railroad going through it (Jersey Central). The building that BobM mentioned is now Bayview nursing home. Formerly pinehaven nursing home and also pinehurst nursing home and originally the Royal Pines hotel. The lake in front of the building is crystal lake and the road heading east was the main road leading to the hotel from the railroad station which was still there the last time I was in the area. The hotel was built in the early 20's as a hide away vacation resort. The land that pinewald occupies was almost completely a part of the old resort. It contained a boat house on the lake, a boat house and pavillion on Barnaget bay in Bayvile, a dance pavillion, golf course, a bath house on cedar creek which we used to call the spanish mansion, hiking trails, hunting trips etc. It was quite an operation. A lot of money was spent to lure rich New Yorkers down there but the great depression sent it into bankruptcy. The nine story building was designed by William Sanger, husband of women's advocate Margret Sanger. When I was a kid rumour had it that Al Capone used the place as a hide out but I doubt it. It was also said that a tunnel went out under the lake and they used to keep and serve booze there during prohibition. There is a tunnel there, but it only goes from the building's boiler room to beneath the boat house across the street. (I used to work there) It has a main room down there and some smaller rooms so the speakeasy part could be true.:guinness:
Dom
Im pretty sure it was benjamin sangor, not william sanger. he wasn't an architect he was more like a land developer.