Pinelands Evolution

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to explore the wilderness of the Plains every weekend that I could for a couple years running and I always stopped right afterward for a Lucille's cheesteak,awesome after a wilderness adventure.
I can feel like I'm in the wilderness in the barrens as long as I'm wearing earplugs or am near a beaver dam to drown out the man noise creeping in from the fringes.Even our big wildernesses in the lower 48,many of them were either inhabited or explouted for their resources in the past hence they weren't always wildernesses.They have just found a stonehenge like megalithic site in the Amazon,a place they swore was always wilderness inhabited by Indians in a primitive state only,now they have found a major megalithic site.Can't keep a good Celt down I suppose.Oh thats right I forgot.Prior to Columbus no one had gathered the courage to sail across the oceans.Gotta get my proven facts right.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
An acquaitance of mine from Jackson WY spends all summer, beginning in May depending on snow levels, until the first snows, in the Thoroughfare region of YNP, purported to be one of the most remote places in the lower 48. Comes back out to Jackson to resupply and has been doing this for at least 25-30 years. Works winters to bankroll the summer. And she is a woman. Imagine that.

Her web site;

http://reflectionsofthewild.zenfolio.com/

Oh thats right I forgot.Prior to Columbus no one had gathered the courage to sail across the oceans.

Us Squareheads did ;)

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/natcul/saga.aspx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
An acquaitance of mine from Jackson WY spends all summer, beginning in May depending on snow levels, until the first snows, in the Thoroughfare region of YNP, purported to be one of the most remote places in the lower 48. Comes back out to Jackson to resupply and has been doing this for at least 25-30 years. Works winters to bankroll the summer. And she is a woman. Imagine that.

Her web site;

http://reflectionsofthewild.zenfolio.com/

Us Squareheads did ;)

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/natcul/saga.aspx
I believe the Celts were here even before the Vikings along with Phoenicians,Egyptians,Arabs and Cartaginians.Roman coin stashes have been found in Kentucky.The Bat Creek stone in Tennessee which is written in hebrew along with amny many highly controversial objects dug out of so called indian mounds and plowed up in fields all over America.
Never heard of Vikings referred to as squareheads though I have hear of Ukranians referred to as such.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That be some gorgeous country.I have always wanted to see the Bob marshall country myself but I may have to pay the Thorofare a visit on the way out.I wonder why they cl;aim this is the most remote? The Bob marshall Complex is supposedly the second bigges wilderness area in the lower 48 second only to Death Valley.The Largest of all I believe is the Saint Elias Wrangell wilderness on in Alaska which adjoins the Kluane wilderness in Yukon.A huge area but most of it seems to be under glaciers.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Never heard of Vikings referred to as squareheads though I have hear of Ukranians referred to as such.

It's a general term for Scandanavians, and sometimes Germans. Never heard of it applied to Ukrainians, which my maternal grandparent were. Uffda!

I wonder why they cl;aim this is the most remote?

The story is that area is the furthest from any type of road. It is the easiest route thru the Absaroka's, yet has very few trails. Lots of Griz there and the Yellowstone River begins here on Younts Peak. It was YNP Ranger Bob Jackson's beat, before he got steamrolled by the gubmint for being too tough on poachers. He now raises bison in Iowa.

If you plan to get out there, do it before it blows, as it is overdue :eek: Its been 8 years since my last trip, but that will be remedied next spring. :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Blows?You mean burns? I've been google earthing the area and many pics have dead burnt trees in them so I assume this area was in the big burn that happened what?maybe ten years ago or so?My big dream trip has always been to basin creek below pentagon peak in the Bob Marshall but this area definitely seems beautiful.I notice that there is a ranger cabin that sits almost on top of the supposedly remotest spot in the lower 48 just NE of Bridger lake.Lot of trails through there,There was a trail up Basin creek but it has disappeared,supposed to be a big grizz area also.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The burn occured in 1988.

I mean blows. Its one of the biggest volcanoe's on earth, with most of the good stuff inside the caldera. The thoroughfare is just below and to the right of the 2 lake appendages. There was a made for TV movie about it, albeit a pretty bad one; 'Supervolcano'. It's fun to stand in the Old Faithful VC and watch the seismograph :D

http://quake.utah.edu/helicorder/yell_webi.htm

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/index.php

map_yellowstone_caldera.gif

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here is some light reading of a trip report of someone that backpacked into the area. Lessons can be learned from it.

Kayla used to have a number of trip reports, but I can't find them now. One of my favorite areas is the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. I've driven the Beartooth Highway and video taped the entire trip, also did some day hikes along it. The Highway is a great day long trip above treeline in many sections. There are some lakes in there that support Golden Trout. The day trip can be made into an overnighter by staying at the Top of the World store.

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/1/4A1BBCE70B571A77852570930067F419

Off the Beartooth Highway

143108710.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Largest of all I believe is the Saint Elias Wrangell wilderness on in Alaska which adjoins the Kluane wilderness in Yukon.A huge area but most of it seems to be under glaciers.

I've spent a couple days there Al. Was able to fish, canoe, and drive in the area of the Copper River Basin. Words cannot adequately describe the immensity of that land.

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/index.htm

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Also depicted in "2012", with Woody Harrelson on site. :D

you gotta love hollywood :)

yes I realized Yellowstone sat on top of a magma chamber hence all the activity in that spot but thanks for the map,I never knew the exact location of the caldera boundaries.I had always thought the northern rockies would be a good place to run to in the event of a total government collapse if I could get that far but I have always wondered if yellowstone erupted if the northern rockies would even be inhabitable anymore.I believe in the event of an economic meltdown all the hungry city folks adjacent to nj would head for the barrens believeing they could hunt deer.The area I live in is loaded with deer but were also loaded with people.I don't forsee any wild game lasting long around here if the everyday food supplies ever dry up.This is one reason i think we should make the cost of a bushel of wheat equal to a barrel of oil.Either oild would come way down which would help the economy or we'd have a lot more wheat surplus for ourselves to pass around when the economy went bust.A good thing either way.Then the OPEC countries could eat their oil.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had always thought the northern rockies would be a good place to run to in the event of a total government collapse if I could get that far

Perhaps you've watched Red Dawn one too many times ;)

WOLVERINES!!

" You think you're tough for eating beans every day? There's half a million scarecrows in Denver who'd give anything for one mouthful of what you got. They've been under siege for about three months. They live on rats and sawdust bread and sometimes... on each other. At night, the pyres for the dead light up the sky. It's medieval." - The Colonel

I heard a remake might soon be released. I hate when they do that, never lives up to the original.